1. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Introducing Orcus: a Fourth Edition retro-clone

Quote Originally Posted by Sanglorian View Post
    Thank you - it is helpful! Would love to hear more ideas as you have them.
    No worries!

If I've understood correctly each class has a limited range of disciplines.
    Maybe if each class was able to pick one discipline based on their source and one on their role that would allow the smallest amount of duplication?

You could call your Source wide disciplines something specific - Spells, Prayers, Maneuvers and, I dunno, Channelings maybe?
    And then the roles might have Stances for your defenders, commands for your leaders, controllers doing effects(?) and strikers ... best I can do here would be to call them something else and call what they do "Strikes". Maybe call them "Destroyers"?

Also, re commander
    "The first time in an encounter that you use a power from either the Angel's Trumpet, the Golden Lion or
    another discipline, you get a bonus. When you use a power from a different discipline, it changes the
    bonus you get - so you always only get one bonus.

Tactician: After using a Golden Lion power, allies that are adjacent to you get a +1 bonus on attack rolls.
    Healer: After using an Angel's Trumpet power, allies that are adjacent to you get resistance to all damage
    2. Level 11: Resistance to all damage 4. Level 21: Resistance to all damage 6.
    Shocktrooper: After using a power from a different discipline, allies that are adjacent to you get a +1
    bonus on Fortitude, Reflex and Will defenses."

Can I suggest instead
    "The first time in an encounter that you use a power, you gain a bonus based on the discipline. Once this bonus is in place, using a different discipline will change which bonus is granted.

Golden Lion:, allies that are adjacent to you get a +1 bonus on attack rolls.
    Angel's Trumpet:, allies that are adjacent to you get resistance to all damage
    2. Level 11: Resistance to all damage 4. Level 21: Resistance to all damage 6.
    Any other discipline, allies that are adjacent to you get a +1
    bonus on Fortitude, Reflex and Will defenses."

A few reasons for the suggested change -
    • I think it's clearer
    • The titles like Shocktrooper may be keywords you want to save to use somewhere else (unless it's important later or get's reused so adds value there). Basic principle of "Don't introduce new terms that don't add meaning"
    • Putting the name of the discipline at the start of the line is probably making it as quick as possible for hte player scanning the rules to see what they need. Either ""I have Angel's Trumpet, what does it do?" or "What's the difference between Golden Lion and Angel's Trumpet?"

Also, for Mageblade, I suggest renaming "Special Bond" to "Key Weapon" for consistency and because (to me) Special Bond is a less appealing name for a power.
    Last edited by Duff; 2021-04-19 at 11:47 PM.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!