View Single Post

Thread: tier 1 Psion build... possible?

1. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: tier 1 Psion build... possible?

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I've never heard of the tiers being relative to your other party members before...
    Then you learned something. It has been there since Tiers were a thing.

Quoting JaronK from the original Tier post which was reposted here 8 years ago after being rescued from BGMinMax forums where they were born.

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    Q: So what a minute, how can I use it then? My players all play differently.

A: First, determine what you'd say is the average optimization and skill level in the group, then make adjustments for people who are noticably different from that. I can't give examples of skill level, but here's an example for optimization. Imagine for a moment that your party has a Cleric with DMM: Persistant Spell, a Fighter with Shock Trooper and Leap Attack, a Beguiler with a Mindbender dip and Mindsight, and a traditional Sword and Board Fighter. Now, the first three are pretty optimized, but the fourth is pretty weak. So in that case, what you've actually got is a Tier 1, a Tier 3, a Tier 5, and a Tier 6, with that second Fighter being Tier 6 because he's far less optimized than the rest of the group. However, if your group is instead a healbot Cleric, a Beguiler who hasn't figured out how to use illusions effectively, a Sword and Board Fighter, and a Shock Trooper/Leap Attack Fighter, then the charge based Fighter is the odd one out. Bump him up a Tier... maybe even 2. So now you've got a Tier 1, a Tier 3, a Tier 5, and maybe a Tier 4. Remember, this whole thing is about intra party balance... there's no objective balancing, because each campaign is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    Also note that with enough optimization, it's generally possible to go up a tier, and if played poorly you can easily drop a few tiers, but this is a general averaging, assuming that everyone in the party is playing with roughly the same skill and optimization level.

JaronK
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2021-04-22 at 05:22 PM.