Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
That implies that we eventually will, which is not what is currently thought, it is believed as I understand it that the observable universe is shrinking, because the rate of separation is rising, so the limit at which the speed of light is lower than the movement away of the expanding bits of universe is moving towards us.

I sort of expect that's all wrong, but I don't have the maths to work out how.
That's two different things. First our universe is bigger then our observable universe, as some parts of our universe has escaped due to higher speed of expansion then the speed of light. This means that outside of our observable universe there is still "our" universe, we can't just communicate with it, and thus should have the same properties.

The other issue is whether is there anything outside of our universe and whether it has to have same properties as our universe. This question is about "where" happened the big bang and what has cause it and more why the whole universe has exact properties that allowed for us to be here. This is more philosophical question and as it was said before has many issues, but physics has made some theories that tackles it and some of more promising models (i.e. inflation models as I pointed before) suggest that there might be thousand of universes, each with each own big bang that started it and different properties which "collapse" to their values during big bang (probably on random)