View Single Post

Thread: 2nd AD&D Perception checks?

1. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 2nd AD&D Perception checks?

It all comes down to PC actions. If the player states they investigate the body, you tell them who it is (assuming he's known to the PCs), and that he's dead. If they ask how he died, you tell them about the wound. In short, if the player asks about it, you tell them. No dice required.

If there's something you need a special skill to know about (the rope was tied with a special knot, unique to the assassins based in Nice, France), if one of the PCs has the right back ground or skill, you tell them. If none of them do, you tell them only the things they can see (it's a special knot, but they've never seen its like before).

That's how I run it, anyway. When in doubt, share the information. Almost every adventure is made better by giving the PCs more clues.

The closest thing that 2nd Edition has to a perception test (that I'm aware of) is the Surprise Check. Other than that, tell them what's before their eyes.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-08-18 at 01:36 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season