Quote Originally Posted by Catullus64 View Post
When you say that the population is isolated, does that mean that wars with neighboring cities are infrequent? Because having a steady supply of captives to sacrifice drastically reduces the strain on your own population.
Yes, wars would probably be very rare so using captives is probably out. The idea is that they primarily use convicted criminals from their own population (but if they don't have enough criminals, they might have to find some... "volounteers").

My guess is that sacrifice rates like you're describing would be demographically invisible in any population exceeding a couple thousand.
That's what I'm thinking too, but as it's mostly based on a general feeling in my case, I figured I should ask around.

(Note that demographically invisible is not the same thing as insignificant; people tend to care about being ritually murdered, and if they feel like the religious legitimacy of the sacrifices is questionable, they will raise a fuss.)
Of course, this is only about the mechanics of it all, politically and socially it would obviously be a big issue even if it didn't affect the population numbers that much.