1. - Top - End - #19
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: A Few Well-Developed Classes or Many Shallow Classes?

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    I wonder how all the other rogue classes cost out compared to thieves?
    Well, core only has 2 rogue classes.

I have not checked these numbers in a while (I've made a few changes, but I don't think any impacted Thief and Bard), but Thief is 45 points, and Bard is 172. Clerics, the most expensive, are 225. The mean value of a class in the PH is 159.25; the median is 172 (exactly; mage and bard are the same, and they're also 4 and 5 out of 8).

Thief is so wildly out of range that you could fit it entirely within the fighter or ranger classes they'd stay around the median, if not the current mean. It is less than 1/3 the value of either the median or the mean, and 1/5th... only 20%... the value of the most expensive class.

If you use the suggested XP tables from my initial post about it, the thief would get 2nd level at 450 XP, and 9th level at 63,000. Currently, those are 1250 and 110,000. A cleric, under this system, would be 2250 to 2nd level (far more in line with the second best fighter, who can wear armor while casting a wide variety of spells), and 9th at 315,000.

ETA: One aspect that I liked about AD&D was that character creation, for the most part, took place at 1st level. You picked your race, picked your class, and went from there. However, classes wound up as very big chunks. Don't like part of what you get? Well, then, there's not a lot you can do. There's always the option of kits, but those varied wildly in power and concept. S&P started letting you customize classes, but it didn't do a lot of cross-class customization; you couldn't make a Paladin with mage spells or move silently. Add to that the fact that some classes got abilities way too late to matter... a ranger or paladin get spellcasting so late that they might as well not, unless you're playing a game that will reach, or simply starts, at high level (where the game starts to get buggy, anyway).

My C&P D&D combines these. You make your class at 1st level, and then you leave it alone... but you make the class you want. I'm intending to throw in racial abilities, as well, so if you want to make an elven wizard, you can either take the higher XP cost of all the elven abilities you choose OR just say "I am an elf wizard" and not have any abilities that reflect the elven part.
    Last edited by Mark Hall; 2021-10-14 at 11:55 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.