1. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Talakeal's Campaign Diary (1 Day without a horror story!)

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    Would you demand a Charisma check if a character asked a random person on the street directions to the nearest inn? Or if someone asked a shopkeeper if they had any swords for sale? What I want here is for you to recognize and own the choice you made to demand a roll in this case. Because you're talking as if you had to call for a roll, as if it were the only fair or non-railroading or verisimiltudinous thing to do in that situation. And that's what's coming off as an excuse to me, to justify something that you either habitually just did, or even something you actually wanted to do but didn't want to actually own.
    That's actually a pretty good point.

Asking someone a question is generally no test.
    Demanding someone do something for you generally requires a test.

But, I suppose demanding someone tell you something really is just asking a question in a really rude manner.

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    I mean, I've honestly been tempted. What bothers me is that this is a situation where I think you and your players are doing harm to each-other, and to others who join your group. And in that circumstance, and given that I do honestly think that something harmful is going on here, it doesn't feel like I should stand by and just say nothing. But I should probably recognize my own advice here that it's very unlikely anything I say will cause you to change this pattern of behavior. So yeah, for my own sanity I guess I'm done with these threads.
    Well, if you are really done with me, I am sorry to see you go and thank you for your input.

As I said in the above, I really do appreciate most of your advice, and I really do believe that feedback I get form this forum has greatly improved the quality of my gaming sessions even if you would prefer to see me abandon them entirely.
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2021-11-18 at 07:33 PM.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.