1. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Gaming Religion Crisis of Faith III - Social Combat (vs HP)

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I actually think this always brought up player type is extremely rare, if it even exists at all.

In the games I run, players are not judged by their theatrical performances, and NPCs respond to what the players seem to mean to say, and I don't start nitpicking their rethoric for debating. I don't make any bad performances when playing all the NPCs either. Simple tell me what you want to say to the NPC, and I'll consider what that NPC would think about the content of the proposal or request.
    I feel confident enough in my ability to understand what the players want in a scene, and when I'm not sure I simply ask them if I understood them right. And my job as GM is to help the players getting the results they want, not to obstruct their ideas.
    I totally agree with this, except in the case of one of our players who loves nitpicking semantic arguments, in which case he gets no slack.
    If I give our shy player ten seconds or two minutes to make an argument they will probably make a huge mess feeling like they have to fill up the while two minutes and start waffling, so I can't see that approach working.
    Instead, we have an IC conversation and if it was convincing they'll probably succeed. If it was terrible then I'll check what they were trying to do and go for a skill check, and if they blurt out all the group's secrets... Well that'll probably cause issues.
    Last edited by Aliess; 2021-11-24 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Killed the accidental quote train