Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
I just primarily don't want people to do it during play. I want people to role-play those elements. I want people to think of their characters in terms of their backstories and personality, not their jobs. I mean, we don't walk up to each other and say "Hi! My name is Frank the American accountant!" We walk up to new people and say "Hi! My name is Frank!" The fact that we're American (like the fact that our character is an Elf or Dwarf) is given away by the descriptice elements. "
That may be true in social interactions but forming a party to on a dangerous expedition is different. Let’s take Frank and put him on a mission to retrieve an artifact missing in Deepest Darkest [Exotic Jungle] full of savage animals, strange tropical diseases, unexplored regions and dangerous local tribes.
‘This is Frank, he’s the guy funding the expedition and he’s coming with us. He’s been there before and knows the ins and outs of the local bureaucracy and can arrange the financed”.
“Hi I’m Bruce, I run a safari hunting business. I know the locals and the dangerous animals. I’ll be arranging security as well as scouting”.
“Well my turn, I’m Alice. i was a combat medic in the Army then out myself through med school. I did my internship with MSF. I haven’t been to [exotic jungle] before but I know how to patch people up in the field.”
“I’m Suzy, I’m the field archeologist for this jaunt. I mostly run the machines you see behind me, the real brains and expertise is my professor but he doesn’t do field work anymore, so I got sent.”
“So who are you?”
“Not telling you my name”
“A bit odd, but what are you brining to the team?”
“You’ll find out when you need my skills and expertise”
“You do know we are going to be risking life and limb, it’s kind of important we can trust you. Why do you want to join the mission?”
“I have my own reasons”
[Hasty muttered conversation]
“Yeah Mysterio, thanks for coming in, but I don’t think it’s gonna work out. Maybe next time”.

Just because the character may not refer to their class and feats the same way as the player does does not mean that the character
- does not have a meaningful job title from which their class can be established.
- is unable to explain what their skills and abilities are in a way that other players can understand and have their characters respond appropriately.
- has a good reason to fool the other party members as to their true nature
- will not have an ax put through their head once the subterfuge has been discovered. Because frankly if you do that you are setting yourself up for extremely prejudicial responses from every character in the party who feels betrayed. In fact I’d say you are manipulating the players, relying on them to reign in their characters to prevent your character from getting murdered and for the campaign to continue on.