View Single Post

Thread: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

1. - Top - End - #1324
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    IIRC, The Giant has estimated that the majority of his readers have never played D&D before, so even if it was a "famous" monster, if the reveal was dependent on recognizing the monster itself, then it would still be an elite few to understand what has happened at the reveal.
    "Famous" not necessarily meaning "D&D famous", it's been said that most monsters have D&D stats now, even if they didn't start in D&D. Mind you, if the D&D stats for a monster that originated outside D&D didn't really match up with the usual description, I wouldn't have a problem with those stats being abandoned.

Conversely, if the reveal is not dependent on recognizing the monster but instead on who the monster is as a character and why he chooses to do what he does, then there are suddenly no issues.
    I do like the idea that it might be Belkar adjacent, Bloodfeast perhaps, but I agree that the character is important as well as the species.

And all of this is ignoring that a "famous" monster doesn't make much sense given the circus scene, where his entire act is to just stand there, which somehow overwhelms virtually all viewers in various ways.
    Famous in the real world, not in "Stick World", there have to be lots of monster types that haven't yet appeared in the comic.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-12-05 at 08:55 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.