1. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Song, Sword, and Sorcery: H_H_F_F's Half-Caster Bard.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post

I hear you on the complexity issue with song of the white raven. It's not just a more complicated subclass, which would be fine, but it relies on complicating the mechanics for the rest of the party, who didn't sign up for that. It hurts me to say, because despite being problematic it's my favorite feature I've designed here, but I see your point. I don't see how superiority dice would work with a song though. Not sure what to do. How about spell slots for maneuvers while singing? Could it be made worth it?
    I really tried hard to make sure every single song had at least some effect on the party, not just the bard, so I'm unsure as to what to do here... I'll try to figure something out. Let me know if you get any cool ideas.
    Let's see. If I were to write something along those lines...

Song of the White Raven: At level 10, you learn the song of the white raven, allowing you to attune yourself and your allies to the artistry of war. As long as you're singing this song, you may take a bonus action to allow one of your allies that can hear you and is not grappled, restrained or incapacitated to move up to 5 feet in any direction without provoking attacks of opportunity. Additionally, when you take the Attack action on your turn, you can forgo one of your attacks and expend a spell slot of 1st level or higher to direct one of your companions to strike. When you do so, choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you. That creature can immediately use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding 1d6 to the attack's damage roll per level of the expended spell slot.

That'd be a fairly direct comparison to Commander's Strike every turn (as long as your spell slots last, but as a Swords Bard you were using them less than most anyway), plus a generally solid but situational 'tactical' ally-moving passive effect. Since you have Extra Attack at this point you're still getting to attack and potentially Flourish, and if you have any allies that can make decent melee attacks or a Rogue that can potentially get another free Sneak Attack out of this it's easy to come out ahead.
    Last edited by Arcomage; 2021-12-09 at 08:46 AM.