1. - Top - End - #359
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLIII: "This Is A New LoW For Us All"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post

The Wolf helmets? Not only are they not the Space Wolves' aesthetic - especially since Space Wolf players swear by Prospero Burns - they don't even work well for Sergeants or individual characters.
    Some people like Prospero Burns.

Others think that this was Abnett being pretentious and that "They're not "The Space Wolves", they're "The Rout" really" is silly.

It would appear that the writers of HH7: Inferno, fell into the second category.

Page 71:

But of all the accusations, perhaps the most cutting was that the VIth Legion was never keener to the fight as when an enemy had already broke and fled before it - than when its victims were helpless.

With this came an informal and insulting cognomen for the VIth Legion of the "Rout", a collective noun often used for carrion jackals and the mutated pariah dogs of Terra's dry seas that hounded and preyed upon refugee columns and wastelanders - creatures brave only when their victims were half-dead or exhausted.

page 79:

Before any acrimony could fester, Leman Russ in his wisdom determined to take his Legion into battle so that he, his kinsman and his gene-sons would spill blood and face death together ands be forged anew as one, or in his words;

"... as the strands of iron are twisted and hammered together in the forging of a killing blade, so shall we be. I and my oath-sworn have been until now the Wolves of Fenris, and you, cousins of my blood, the Wolves of Terra. Together we shall become the Wolves that Stalk the Stars, and the beasts that crawl and feed in the darkness of the void shall come to fear us, and know themselves hunted."

page 83:

It is the case that many of the Space Wolves' victories of the latter years of the Great Crusade, even those that were not sealed under order of high authority - were neither widely lauded nor eulogised by the remembrancers and iterators of the Imperium with which the Legion had little truck. Indeed, in scorn of such men, they freely lied and mocked, and played the barbarian as expected. For where the Wolves stalked, they often stalked alone. For their true histories were theirs alone, preserved in webs of saga and myth where the facts and direct memories had been purged from their minds by psycho-memetic obliteration to preserve the sanity of the warrior from the things they had seen and done, and remove from them knowledge that they were not meant to have.

Seems to me like an active effort to retcon Prospero Burns - suggest that everything being told to Kaspar Hawser about "The Rout" is mockery, and that they go by "The Wolves that Stalk The Stars" (or "Space Wolves" for short).
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-08-07 at 02:23 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele