1. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Post Nowhere Else To Put This Right Now.

Tracking Down Why The Hell I Used "Modern" Path(Finder)" And Not D20 Modern
    I have threads on here from six years ago about how I started my journey and how the first four campaigns went.

1. Too many specific skills.

2. To quote this person.

"Gun rules in general have problems. Unlike swords, guns have real-life stats that are easily researchable. Some guns are (in real-life) bluntly better than others. A 10 mm bullet should deal more damage than a 9 mm bullet. Good luck balancing that. It's not possible. Never pick up a .44 (11 mm) weapon that doesn't deal more damage than a 9 mm weapon, because the only thing you get out of it is half the bullet capacity."

I actually made a video about how Modern Path's idea of "Kick" to allow for more powerful weapons and to balance them, was a good idea, but they made the powerful stuff weak and the weak stuff powerful...For some reason.

Tracking Down Why The Hell I Made The “Operator Hardcore 5.0” System

1. I thought the Skills in D20 Modern were too plentiful and specific, but the “Modern Path(finder)” website I was looking at, wasn’t quite working either. So 5e.

2. Didn’t like BAB.

2. The Fast class seemed really broken, and the Tough class seemed weak by comparison. Generally there was strange stuff with the classes. So… Seemed logical to write my own classes and playtest them to see if they were balanced enough.

3. I thought that Skills people would take very rarely, should be half off, to encourage people to take them.

4. The world is full of hundreds of different pistols and they seem to have a purpose in real life, and are cool in movies/games, but they’re useless in D20 Modern.

5. I didn’t want armor to be an AC thing. Why not just have a number for a weapon and a number for armor, then see which is higher?

6. I thought the range system was both too complicated and not realistic.

7. The Shotguns are nerfed so badly, and because quoting people is fun.

Spoiler: Shotgun Quotes
    Show
    I must respectfully disagree. Shotguns are horribly, horribly nerfed in D20 modern, taking -1 to an already comparatively low damage per range increment. There will always be a better weapon for the price you can get one at.

Sawed off shotgun? .44 magnum S&W 29. Three times the range, three times the ammo capacity, and no -4 when wielding against an adjacent enemy or the reduction in damage.

Mossberg? AK. More than twice the range, 5 times the ammo capacity and easier reloading, and automatic fire for a little higher restriction rating. Same base price.

BPS? Winchester 94. More ammo, triple the range, and cheaper.

Shotguns are given a dramatically shorter stick. For no good reason.

D20 Modern Designers Literally Admitting They Made The Shotguns Bad On Purpose, Based On Nonsense That No Person Whose Used A Shotgun Would Agree With.
    Last edited by Tevo77777; 2022-09-29 at 02:15 AM.
    If I ever think that I've gone too far in my Homebrew, I can just think about how Kane0 isn't considered crazy, so why would I be considered so?
    -
    D20 Modern's handling of shotguns is the perfect case of not balancing for fun OR realism OR efficiency.
    -
    Where would I go to get people to test mechanics? Reddit?