View Single Post

Thread: [Rule] Drunkeness

1. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Rule] Drunkeness

Off the top of my head, what about giving a character a "base limit" based on their constitution score (perhaps a number of "sobriety points" equal to their Con modifier) and then have drinks reducing their sobriety by varying amounts. Then the lower their SP get (as a percentage) they suffer more negative effects (which stack);

{TABLE]% of Max SP remaining|Effect
    >75%|No effects
    <75%|Intoxicated
    <50%|Drunk
    <25%|Very Drunk
    <10%|Alcohol poisoning[/TABLE]

Every hour the character may make a DC 15 fortitude save, they regain a number of SP equal to whatever they succeed by (they may not, however, lose SP this way). The effects of the varying levels of intoxication are shown below;

Intoxicated Character takes a -2 penalty of all dex, cha, int, and wis scores as well as reflex and will saves. Speech is slurred giving a -2 penalty to the speak languages skill sense motive checks take a -1 and bluff checks -2. Disguise checks fail automatically.

Drunk As indicated but the penalties are doubled. The player must now make a balance check every time they attempt to walk (DC 10) or fall prone.

Very Drunk The DC to stay standing is now 15. All skills which are attempted immediately fail. The player must make a fortitude save (DC 15 - remaining SP) every 10 minutes or fall unconscious.

Alcohol Poisoning The alcohol has now started to cause serious damage to the character's system rendering them unconscious (no save). They take 1d4-1 con damage every hour that they remain in this state. If they take more than half their con score in damage they must make a fortitude save. If they succeed then the damage is negated, if they fail then their maximum SP is reduced by 1 due to liver damage. A character's constitution may not be dropped below 1 unless they have less than 5% of their SP remaining.

If a character becomes intoxicated (<75% of their max SP) then they gain an extra point of maximum SP (to a maximum of 20). Creatures with resistance to poisons may add their bonus to their maximum SP.

As soon as a character's SP regenerates to >75% they are considered hungover. Treat them as nauseated until they regain 80% of their SP they are then merely sickened until all their SP has been regenerated.

As a rule every two units of alcohol (about the amount found in a pint of normal beer) drains 1 SP.

I can't help but feel that I've left something out.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2007-09-07 at 05:52 PM.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)