1. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Non-bending classes of the Avatar world [Project]

Quote Originally Posted by CabbageTheif View Post
    i dont know about the AC for him. 17, 22 with added stuff is.... i dunno, anywhere between 7th level and 13th level, depending on class. a 20th level who has AC below 20?

unless i missed something. if i'm just going crazy, tell me.
    The reason his AC is so low is because he's not wearing armor AND because I apparently forgot to incorporate the class defense bonus variant we're using in the setting (which would give him a significant boost of +12 to his AC). Good eye, Thief, I'll fix it.

A note on the tactical feats: You should limit their use in some form or every single attack the fighter makes will be on of these abilities and that would become too broken.
    I'm personally fine with a fighter making every single attack an application of one tactical feat or another; it's what separates them from a warrior with full BAB and from Barbarians that can take insane amounts of punishment and deal it back in kind. The difficult is, as you mentioned, preventing their brokenness. Let's get on to fixing that, shall we?

The mechanic here is a little clunky, with the 1/5 base attack bonus as shield. Add Dodge as a prereq, and then I would say that when you're using a longsword in one hand like that, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC, just straight out. Shield bonuses don't make sense as you're not using another object to protect you, and it's about balance and graceful movements.
    While I agree that the mechanic is more complicated than I usually like to do for feats; I wanted to make sure that this feat would be something that would be advantageous early on and would continue to be significant as the fighter levels. My original idea for making it a shield bonus is that the sword was being used for parrying, but I see now that that wouldn't make a great deal of sense. I'll change it to a dodge bonus and add Dodge as pre-req. Is the bonus too high, though?

This I'm more or less fine with, it is a little strong though. But I've seen stronger in sourcebooks.
    I was worried that it would be too simple to represent the complex system of parrying, but I'm glad you like it.

First off, I'd remove the 2nd additional attack clause in Manyslice, the fighter is getting flurry of blows. That's beefy. Double Counter is okay, and Shower of Sparks is neat. Overall, to be honest, this feat is too powerful. This falls into the realm of class features, and I can't see a reason why a fighter wouldn't take this feat, as it is very easy to get. Anyone using a one-handed weapon two-handed could use this, or someone in heavy armor and/or a shield could make use of this too.
    Yeah, I was worried that it was severely overpowered, but I'm currently working under the "get it down, then clean it up" theory of design. Shower of sparks is completely Lord Tataraus' creation, so I can't take credit for it. Also, while this can be used sword-and-board, the weapon has to be wielded one-handed. I'll add that in. So let's take a look at Manyslice, then. It was, admittedly, a thinly-veiled attempt to give flurry of blows to a fighter. Maybe, in order to address Tataraus' concern, I could make it a -4 penalty to all attacks rather than a -2 and remove the clause for a second attack, which was just a way to make Weapon Specialization actually worth something. What if I made it require Weapon Specialization, would that address your concerns?
    Swath is too powerful. In the XPH, there is the War Mind class which has something like this. I'd reign it in and say the two adjacent squares next to the target, make it a full attack, and you attack all three with the same attack roll (highest base attack) at -2. That would go a long way towards balancing that. Lunge is good as it's a movement thing, but I'd say instead of provoking an AoO, I'd say it leaves you flat-footed. Finisher Cut, make it a full attack action and remove the -2 penalty.
    I checked out the War Mind in the SRD, and Swath is significantly weaker than the War Mind's sweeping strike, simply because it's a standard action. The original draft had a smaller arc that was usable as the first attack in a full attack, but that clashed with the feats theme of powerful single strikes; so I made it a standard action for a single attack with a wider sweep. As for Finisher Cut, I think that a full-round action would be far too weak, since by this point the fighter has at least two attacks (BAB +8 prereq). That function came from the point in Sokka's duel with his master where Sokka was knocked back against the bamboo and his master ran up to him, aimed briefly and nearly decapitated him (meaning that there had to be a move action in there somewhere). Is the feat overall too powerful, or is it just Swath? I'm still unsure if it needs changing; let's see what others have to say.
    Clever footing is fine, but I'd reword it to say if the character has any movement remaining. Tactical Maneuvering is okay, but remove the reference to Cleave as it's not a prerequisite feat. Press the Advantage is good, I like it.
    Yay! I just put the Cleave reference in there to give examples of non-BAB situations where it could be applied. I'll put in the clarifying clause you mentioned.

Alright, so the things that still need some spit 'n' polish are: Balanced Blade and A Thousand Cuts. Is everything balanced, though, taking their unlimited usage into account?
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2007-11-18 at 03:39 PM.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth