1. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Avatar Project] Creatures of the Avatar world

Here's my list of creature equivalences for the Avatar world. Note that this list is not complete. I excluded many of the creatures I thought wouldn't be appropriate encounters for PC's, and I haven't finished writing the list up formally. My intention is to complete this list with full stat blocks where necessary and with brief suggestions and changes were possible. Let me know what you think.

Armadillo-Lion (CR 3) – An Armadillo-Lion is the statistical equivalent of the Lion, except as noted below.
    • Defensive Curl (Ex)
      As a standard action, an Armadillo-Lion can curl up into a ball, presenting its armored back to the outside world. The Armadillo-Lion gains a +10 bonus to its Natural Armor while curled. An Armadillo-Lion can move as normal (including taking double move and run actions and making overrun attempts) while curled, rolling over the ground on its back. However, it cannot attack or take any other offensive actions while curled.

Boar-Q-Pine (CR 6)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Large Animal
    HD: 9d8+27 (67 HP)
    Speed: 40 ft (8 squares)
    Init: +4
    AC: 15 (-1 size, +6 Natural Armor); touch 9; flat-footed 15
    BAB: +6; Grp: +19
    Attack: Gore +14 (1d8+12)
    Full-Attack: Gore +14 (1d8+12)
    Space: 10 ft.; Reach: 5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Ferocity, Quills
    Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent
    Saves: Fort +10 Ref +6 Will +4
    Abilities: Str 27, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 8
    Skills: Listen +9, Spot +9
    Feats: Weapon Focus (Gore), Improved Initiative, Alertness, Power Attack
    Environment: Temperate Forests
    Organization: Solitary or Herd (5-8)
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 10-16 HD (large), 17-21 HD (huge)
    Level Adjustment: –

Combat
    Ferocity (Ex) – A Boar-Q-Pine is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.
    Quills (Ex) – A Boar-Q-Pine’s back is covered with sharp quills that damage those that strike it. A creature attacking a Boar-Q-Pine with a natural weapon, unarmed strike, or non-reach melee weapon take 1d6 damage from the quills. In addition, foes who take damage from the quills must make a Reflex Save (DC 19, Constitution-based) or have 1d4 quills stuck in their flesh. Creatures stuck with any number of quills take a -1 penalty to attacks, saves, and checks until the quills are removed. Creatures removing a quill without a successful DC 20 heal check (a full-round action) take an additional 1d6 damage.

Buffalo-Deer (CR 1) – A Buffalo-Deer is the statistical equivalent of a Heavy Horse

Buzzard-Wasp – Dire Bat (CR 2) - probably needs some advancement

Dragon-Fly – Giant Wasp (remove poison, replace stinger w/ bite attack, increase damage to 1d6) (CR 3)

Giant Beetle (CR 4) – A Giant Beetle is the statistical equivalent of a Giant Stag Beetle.

Kimodo Rhinoceros (CR 4) – A Kimodo Rhinoceros is the statistical equivalent of a Rhinoceros.

Ostrich-Horse (CR 2) – An Ostrich-Horse is the statistical equivalent of a Heavy Warhorse, except as noted below.
    • As a two-legged creature it does not gain a bonus to checks to avoid being tripped or bull rushed, to blocking overrun attempts, or to its carrying capacity.
    • An Ostrich-Horse's skill modifiers are as follows: Jump +17, Listen +2, Spot +2

Platypus-Bear (CR 4) – A Platypus-Bear is the statistical equivalent of a brown bear.

Sabre-Toothed Moose-Lion – Dire Tiger (add Gore attack – 1d12 damage) (CR 8)

Wolf-Bat – Wolf (fly speed, 60 ft, avg. maneuverability) (CR 2)

I also have plans to homebrew Mongoose-Dragons and Unagi/Sea Serpents, but I haven't had time to act on those intentions yet. I'll probably get to it this weekend.

Mephibosheth
    Last edited by Mephibosheth; 2007-12-01 at 10:13 AM.
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!