1. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: The Gods over Suraen [Gods, finally named my Setting]

Quote Originally Posted by Old_el_Paso View Post
    You might want to consider changing Baal's name. Baal is already the name of the Caanan god of fertility. He is also bent to be a demon in the Bible.
    I'm aware, that's where I got the name from. I was taking a class on Ancient Near East literature at the time.

Edit: Not to address real world religion too much, but the literature that we went over in that class was very influential for me when I was coming up with gods. Rabel and Baal are both nearly monotheisms, that is their worshipers are devoted mainly to them, however they do acknowledge other gods, the just feel that Rabel/Baal is their god, that they are chosen people of their god. This is very similar to biblical jews. There are many references to other gods and powers, enough that an argument can be made that the jews were not true monotheists (and indeed, I made that argument in my final paper for the class). Leyanar is very similar to Jesus Christ, that shouldn't be too hard to pick up on. His church is like the early christian church, viewed as heretical by the mainstream. Bensun was inspired by the Buddha. The other gods didn't have any particular influences, just mishmashes of all the religions i know anything about, the needs of the "pantheon", and whatever sounded good at the time. Eventually I'll have full writeups for each god (and one new god) to flesh them out a little more.