1. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Codename: Swampgas, Like Frostburn, but with Swamps

Two new spells I thought of! I have no idea what to use for the name for the first one, so suggestions are welcome.

Vine Trip of some sort?
    Transmutation
    Level: Drd 1, Rgr 1
    Components: V, S, DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Target: One creature
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell causes a vine to rise up out of the surroundings and yank itself over the target's ankles, causing them to fall to the ground. Unless the target succeeds on a reflex save, a vine rises from the mud beneath them, or extends from a nearby plant, or something similar (if this is not possible, the spell fails) and trips them, knocking them prone.

Smothering Vines
    Transmutation
    Level: Class Level
    Components: V, S, DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Target: One creature
    Duration: 2 rounds/level or until escaped
    Saving Throw: Reflex partial
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell causes a mass of vines to rise from the mud beneath the target's feet and wrap around them, pulling them down and yanking them into the muddy ground. This spell will only function when in a ____ environment. If the target makes their Reflex save, they become entangled until the duration of the spell expires. On a failed save, the target is wrapped in vines and dragged into the mud, beginning to suffocate in 1d4 rounds. Escaping the vines requires a DC 20 escape artist check, or a DC 20 strength check.

[hr]
    Also, I have the idea for a third spell, but don't know what to do with it, as it would end up rather complex. Animate Mud, to be modeled after Animate Rope. There would be a series of choices (make a mound around that guy's legs, move with me so you don't impede my movement) but there would be some things it can do which are more advanced, and would have to require a check or a level or some such. Things like making a mud golem climb out of the mud and fight for you.

Speaking of which, someone should write up a mud golem. I'll do it, I suppose. DONE! Not sure on the CR though. I tried to use VT's and with the construct immunities it came out around 8.5, which is definitely off.

Mud Golem
    Large Construct
    HD 8d10+30 (74)
    Speed 20 ft. (4 squares);
    Init: +1
    AC 20; touch 10; flat-footed 19
    (-1 size, +1 dex, +10 natural)
    BAB +6; Grp +20
    Attack Slam +12 (2d8+6)
    Full-Attack 2 Slams +12/+7 (2d8+6)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
    Special Attacks Engulf
    Special Qualities Construct Traits, darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, immunity to magic, Mud Glide, DR 10/Magic
    Saves Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +2
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 13, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Skills -
    Feats -
    Environment Murk
    Organization Solitary
    Challenge Rating X
    Treasure Normal
    Alignment Always Neutral
    Advancement 9-16 HD (Large) 17-25 HD (Huge)

Engulf: A Mud Golem may engulf a target in its body, in an attempt to suffocate it with mud. This strategy is usually used when facing a lone opponent. The Mud Golem initiates a grapple check. If it succeeds, it pulls the creature into itself. The engulfed creature begins to choke on the mud of the Mud Golem. Every round it has to make a DC 25 fortitude save. If it succeeds, it can attempt an escape artist check against the Mud Golem's grapple check to break free. If a creature is trapped within a Mud Golem for an amount of time longer than it can hold itís breath, it suffocates.

Mud Glide: A Mud Golem can glide through mud as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing Mud Golem flings it back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 fortitude save.

Immunity to Magic: A Mud golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A magical attack that deals cold damage slows a Mud golem (as the slow spell) for 2d6 rounds.

A move earth spell drives the golem back 120 feet and deals 3d12 points of damage to it.

An earthquake spell cast directly at a Mud golem stops it from moving on its next turn and deals 3d10 points of damage. The golem gets no saving throw against any of these effects.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-02-28 at 07:51 PM.