Quote Originally Posted by Gaurd Juris View Post
This makes it very unlikely that you'll be able to hit high AC enemies or make difficult saving throws. The chance of passing a saving throw that would normally require you to roll an 18, 19, or 20 on a d20 is 15%. The same chance on 2d10 is 6%, worse than half. Same thing with hitting opponents and making skill checks. You'd have to seriously up the CR of enemies with very high ACs or difficult saving throws, or edit them, or not use them.

Another example: If you would normally need a 20 to hit an ac 50 monster, that is 5% chance of success. If you roll 2d10, you only have a 1% chance to hit the same monster.
So its harder to get a "hail marry"? So what?

Look at it the other way, where its easy to roll poorly and miss an average DC or AC under the d20 system. Essentially, this system makes peope who are good at things more consistantly good at them and people that are poor at things less likely to get 'lucky'.

Also, what if the monster rolls a 20 and crits the PC? And then the PCs roll <10, with a 1 in there, and don't touch the monster. That may be unlikely, but extremely possible under the d20 system. It is much, much less likely under my variant.

Finally, bosses with hard ACs and DCs are indeed harder because its harder to 'get lucky' vs them. Personally, I think this adds realism to the game and makes it generally funner as you can rely on your PCs abilities more regularly but at the same time you should fear an enemy's abilities if he's too tough for you to handle.

As for using a d20 to confirm crits, that is there because I A) wanted to keep the d20 in the game somewhere and B) Crits are more 'lucky' then normal activities, so having something without a bell curve seemed more appropriate.