View Single Post

Thread: Archer

1. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Archer

I like what we've got so far. I think we need some abilities for at least levels 14, 18, and 20 (as a capstone). A few dead levels are fine, but the two spots where we have three of 'em in a row look ugly.

Alright, these are probably too powerful, but here are my recommendations...

Piercing Shot (Ex): At fourteenth level an archer becomes extraordinarily skilled at finding chinks in the armor of nearby foes. Archers may ignore any armor bonuses to the AC of a target within 30'. At eighteenth level the archer may use this ability against targets up to 60' away.

Penetrating Shot (Ex): At twentieth level an archer puts enough force into his shots to punch straight through a creature. He does double his ranged precision damage to a large creature, triple to a huge creature, quadruple to a gargantuan creature, and quintuple to a colossal creature. This ability does not affect creatures immune to precision damage. (I'm thinking this one needs a fort save or something, but I don't know what DC it should be at)

I say these are overpowered because they basically turn the archer into a one-man wyrm-hunter when he gets to 20th level. Dragons have pitiful dexterity. Maybe have piercing shot only affect "unnatural" armor?

Oh, and whatever happened to the 'power-attack for archers' idea? Maybe a feat instead of an ability?

Also, I'd move Between the Eyes up a bit... it seems pretty brutal, especially combined with Deadly Marksmanship.

EDIT: The idea for Penetrating Shot came from a video I watched of one of my professors putting an arrow straight through the heart of a buffalo and clean out through the other side of the animal. The poor creature dropped pretty quickly after that. Granted he was using a high-tech bow, but I figure if a college professor can do that to a buffalo (a Large creature), a near-epic archer should be able to do it to a dragon. Maybe have it scale? Get Penetrating Shot (Large) at an early level, building to Penetrating Shot (Colossal) at level 20?
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-03-21 at 12:01 AM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]