Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74
Does the Seeking ability make the arows automatically hit?
Nope

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy74
Also, do you want it to be usable with Multishot? As worded, it looks like it does, and that could get rather ridiculous. Using the splitting enchantment, and ignoring the critical potential, that's 200d4 points of ranged precision damage at level 20, not counting any damage from, say, the bow itself. Or the arrows.
I'm not sure I've seen the Splitting enhancement before, or if it would be allowed in a game where this class was. Sounds like it makes each arrow two arrows? Would that make it 20d8 + 20 x Strength bonus (with a longbow and full Multishot), x3 for critical so 60d8 + 60 x Strength bonus, Splitting making it 120d8 + 120 x Strength bonus... yeah I don't know where you got the number from. Damage reduction of 10 will completely negate the Strength bonus... just keep that in mind for your BBEGs and you should be fine. Also should probably disallow Splitting, heh.

So without Splitting and taking DR 5 or something into account and a Strength bonus of 10, you're doing an average of 770 damage. DR 10 makes this an average of 470 damage. No DR makes this an average of 1070 damage. A monster immune to critical hits divides all averages by 3. The numbers get much bigger with other weapon enhancements, even ones such as Flaming, but can be reduced by similarly large numbers by monster resistances.

Well, with Split Ray and Empower (and Arcane Thesis), disintegrate deals 140d6 as a ranged touch, and with the right build, even more metamagic can be applied to it. You could at least double that damage with a Quicken metamagic rod. Plus a mage can do things other than cast disintegrate.

A Quickened, Split Ray, Empowered disintegrate deals an average of 840 damage. A high Fortitude save or touch AC can help your monsters against that, just like even small increases in the DR can protect them very well from the arrows. An archer can do this 3 times per day, while a mage can do it more than that, unless he decides to use his spell slots on more useful things.

Overall I would say the mage is still stronger in all aspects of his class features, except that the archer is more reliable, can beat spell resistance and antimagic fields, and can sometimes deal higher damage depending on the circumstances, which was the idea. The archer can split his damage among many targets, but delayed blast fireball is probably more economical for this purpose. Now tell me how I did all the math wrong .