1. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Review - A Class Balance by Fawsto

I'll just re-write your post for you.

The Following abilities are intended as a revision of the Lay on Hands, Smite Evil, Turn Undead and Remove Disease class abilities. This revision is compatible with the BlackGuard (DMG I) and Gray Guard (Comp. Scoundrel) or any class related to have them. All class features not presented here remain the same.

Battle Channeling (su):

At 1st level, the Paladin gains Smite Evil and Turn Undead. Both of these abilities are usable a combined number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier.

Divine Aura (sp):

(look at the marshal class' Major Aura progression and mechanics and use those, the ones you have written here are very clunky and do not flow well.

Perhaps get different types of auras as he progresses (see 1wingedangel's work, or my own (that steals from his) for ideas) and have the aura bonus be equal to his number of Divine or Smite feats. He can only have 1 aura active at a time. Or if you want to be more generous, allow him a number of active auras equal to half his Cha mod. Make the range 10, 15 or 30 feet, as you like.)

Improved Channeling Aura (sp):

(Ok, use the above suggestion and now apply the bonus also as a penalty. I wouldn't bother with a save to resist this, but if you did ethier 10+pal lvl+cha mod or 10+aura bonus x2+cha mod would work well).

Greater Channeling Aura (sp):

1) You don't need to keep repeating the "it works as channeling aura" clause, as the fact that it's a progression and you describe it as improving that ability already implies this in an obvious way.

2) Whatever range you decide on for the base auras, double it here and grant +2 to the save vs the negative effect. This is fine.

Extra Divine Feats:

Beginning at level 4 and every 4 levels later (8, 12, 16 and 20) the Paladin receives an Extra Divine Feat He still must fulfill any pre-requisites normally.

(as you like, not a bad idea)

Lay on Hands (sp):

This class ability is modified to work as the Healing Touch of the Dragon Shaman beginning at level 7. (Give a full description, don't reference a non-core class in a core class description. Also, its called Touch of Vitality.)

A Paladin still has Paladin lvl x Cha Bonus healing points per day.

Leadership:

With the DM approval, the Paladin may choose not to receive a special mount at level 5, but the Leadership feat at level 6.

(then present this as a variant after the main class description, anything that requires "with DM approval" shouldn't be presented as the default class ability. Good idea though.)

Honestly, although poorly presented, your ideas themselves are fairly sound.

I hope my critique/suggestions are useful to you. Sorry for the lateness in the review I promised.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-04-22 at 10:45 PM.