1. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Codename: Swampgas, Like Frostburn, but with Swamps

Alright, here's a new monster, based on this. I'll go back through and try to finish Glugg tonight, update the big list o' critters, and make sure the environment is labeled as "the Murk" (that's what we decided on, right?). I can't think of any ideas for more spells or feats, but if anyone has any ideas for them but doesn't feel up to doing the actual homebrewing, tell me here or PM me and I'll try to get on it.

Dire Nutria

Spoiler
    Show

Large Animal
    Hit Dice: 6d8+24 (51 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 feet (6 squares); swim 40 ft.
    Armor Class: 18 (+3 Dex, +5 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+11
    Attack: Bite +7 (2d6+4)
    Full Attack: Bite +7 (2d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Augmented critical, hold breath, low-light vision, scent
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 17, Dex 16 Con 19, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +16
    Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude(B), Improved Breath Capacity, Improved Natural Attack (Bite)
    Environment: Any marsh
    Organization: Solitary or pair
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 7-12 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment:

The creature before you is a gigantic rodent. Drops of water bead on its matted fur and rolls down its flanks. As it glances in your direction, it opens its maw, revealing arm-sized orange incisors that look like they could cut a man in half.

The dire nutria (or dire coypu) is a larger, more aggressive version of the nutria, a semi-aquatic rodent often found in marshes of any type. Its bright orange incisors are exceptionally large and sharp for its size and though it is usually more docile than other animals (even dire animals), a dire nutria will not hesitate to bite at any enemies that pester it. Many hunters and trappers seek out these creatures for their fur which, though dangerous to collect, is of high quality and fetches a rather high price. A typical dire nutria is 8 to 10 feet long and weighs around 800 pounds.

These statistics can be used for the dire version of any other sort of large, semi-aquatic rodent, such as muskrats.

Combat

When drawn into combat, a dire nutria bites at its opponent with its sharp teeth. If near water it attempts to enter the water to maximize its mobility and perhaps provide for a better chance at escape.

Augmented Critical (Ex): A dire nutria chews on fallen trunks and other hard materials to keep its teeth extremely sharp. A dire nutria’s bite attack threatens a critical hit on an 18-20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. It also adds one-and-a-half times its Strength modifier to damage with its bite attack.

Hold Breath (Ex): A dire nutria can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 8 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning. This already includes the benefit of the Improved Breath Capacity feat.

Skills
    A dire nutria has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Dire Nutria as Animal Companions
    A Druid or Ranger may select a dire nutria as his animal companion, though he takes a -6 penalty to his effective Druid level when determining when he can access the nutria companion and what abilities it has.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-07-07 at 06:34 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium