Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
Again, I must disagree.

I'll point out the main diferences I see:
Conan verse:
-The uber magic items can be easily destroyed by simple means.
-If you have a magic weapon, the magi is royally screwed.
-Lack of magic traps in the magi's fortress. The doors can easily be hacked and kicked actually.
-No real reason to wear clothes.
-Depends on the item. The Eye of Charon was indestructible without the Tear of Charon. Otherwise why does it being magic necessarily mean it's indestructible?
-Not true, it'd have to be a magic weapon meant for that purpose otherwise it's just a magic weapon. If it's enchantment still applied then great! If not...well..it's still a good weapon.
-Choking mists, animated statues, guardian demons, walls of force. All of there were in just one fortress. Again it depends on the magi's fortress. I haven't seen one as un-breakable as Orthanc but that's not saying much. This doesn't include actual guards or mechanical traps which you see every now and then.
-Conan is actually wearing clothes more then half the time. And armor too. Comics portray him otherwise.

LOTR verse:
-The uber magic items are only going down with some titanic damage.
-If you have a magic weapon, the magi can still sunder it at distance with a wave of his finger(that's what happens in the book to Frodo's first magic sword, when he faces back to the ringwraiths after crossing the river).
-The magi's fortress is literally made of adamantium, and comes included with flashy defense systems like activable mini tsunamis and fireworks systems able to take down ents(again in the book, Sauruman makes a last ditch effort to fight off the ents by seting off a serie of magic traps that incinerate several of the giant trees, forcing tree beard to divert the nearby river and put away all the fires).
-Stealth elven cloacks FTW!
-This falls back to specific items and the 'why does it become harder to destroy just because it's magic?' again. Conan-verse takes a more realistic view on magic items. Just because it's magic clothes doesn't mean it can't rip or tear unless specifically enchanted that way. Same with weapons and whatnot.
-See above because it still sort of applies.
-That's still workable, surprisingly enough, for Conan. And please note before you charge this statement I am not saying it'd be EASY. It'd still probably be very very hard but it's doable.
-Stealth elven cloaks are for those who can't hide on their own.

So Conan may have a chance in the LOTR universe, but he would have to sweat a lot more than he sweats in his own verse. He can't just destroy the uber magic item with just his sword, the traps are much much more deadly, his magic items are gonna be destroyed and, hardest of all, he will have to put on some magic clothes if he wants to have a chance.
LOTR universe has more prevalent magic and magic items. I don't think anyone will argue that but the point is Conan does what he does without magic half the time. That's the basis of Heroic fantasy. It's all coming from the hero. If Frodo had managed to get to Mt. Doom on his own, resist the ring and toss it in purely by his own efforts without magical doodads then that'd be more Heroic Fantasy then High Fantasy. In every story he's abandoned magical things because they make him uncomfortable, that's why he finds the things that would allow him to do amazing things but afterwards gets rid of them because they aren't what makes him a hero. Conan, tossed into LOTR verse would struggle for a couple months to adjust (That's on the long side) but after that he'd be right as rain because he learns and adapts.