Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
I think you've said here what I've been thinking, but EE has been arguing against. I think that while V's act was more chaotic than anything, it was not evil. Waiting for a trial? Lawful. Skipping the trial because you know the accused will rig the thing and end up scott-free? Chaotic and shady, but in the world of D&D I don't see it as evil. Most DM's I know would give XP for dealing with the issue...
Murdering an unarmed helpless man who had already surrendered. Clearly evil, as well as being hypocritcal, cowardly, arrogent, and a general bad idea (way to prevent other criminals from surrendering or accepting your surrenders)
And I'm sorry, but I don't believe this goody-good argument that all of Kabuto's threats and testiments to rigging the trial (fresh after murdering someone) don't mean anything at all. Come on now. I'm reading posts that would say to let him have a trial, KNOWING that he will get away with it (and make Hinjo lose face in the process), and that anything else would be evil. What you're saying is that there's no way to capture or incriminate this villain. If a DM wrote that scenario into my D&D game, I might be looking for a new group.
1) Knowing he will get away with it? Really. Prove it. You have Kabuto's boasts, and as we can clearly see, his claims are not proof, nor absolute. How can you know if you haven't tried. If you give up and resort to evil without trying, then evil truly does win
2) Part of being good is that it is hard and challenging, that is why evil is popular its easy

While V's methods were crude, the results in my opinion have more likely spared many more deaths and injustices (and I say V is just as qualified as anyone to judge; after all, what places a judge above other mortals?).
1) A fair trial defines execution, not just a judge. Through if the judge is an angel....
2) Preventing deaths by commiting evil is not a solution, its simply an evasion of responsibility
from
EE