Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
I could be wrong, but didn't Grand Larceny Guy just commit attempted murder, and treason. and didn't you say earlier, that A CG person can kill someone who "deserves to die" without alignment problems?
Which was unimportant to Belkar. He killed him for bothering Belkar.
The rapist-murderer enters a girl's room. I shoot him. Am I a good guy? Perhaps if I shoot him for fear for the lass or such, but not if I think he is her husband and put out about her putting out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
Didn't you also say it doesn't matter what motives are, if person deserves to die, killing them isn't Evil?
Somebody has said so, but I doubt I have, and certainly retract any such implication. Motives are of major importance. You donating a car to a charity in Africa sounds good, until we find out this means the cops will never find the getaway car from the big bank robbery, and that you will get a nice tax write-off.

Now in the final analysis, we might say that only results count, but we are planning creatures, and our plans work at least part of the time. So we can get closer to the result we want by saying intentions count. We praise the good intentions because they lead, on average, to good results. The times they don't, we accept as just a cost of being mortal.
Within limits of course. At some point we have to say the intention may have been good, but the results were just too likely to be evil. So motive can be considered a lesser standard than the actual results.
We also have the problem of often being unable to determine motive. Pretty much all you have is what the other guy says, and you know he lies. So you have major problems in judging acts by their motives.

But yes, motives are of major importance in judging actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth
Really? Well, perhaps if he left it at that, yes, but using the guard's blood to write an inflammatory message to Miko?
Ah yes. I had forgotten that point. Belkar did not kill the guard to prevent unjustified evil to himself, but to allow him to do additional evil. So any claim of non-evil is negated by his overall intentions being evil.