Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
And divination. And all of the knowledge skills. And survival. And then there's the situational abilities that never come up b/c the DM wasn't sure anyone would be prepared for them. Skills in general get shafted pretty hard. Poor ranger? Poor rogue. Yay, I roll my disable device again. Whoopee. Oh wait, I failed. I die.
A DM who makes traps that are simple "roll Search" and "roll Disable Device" shouldn't really be using traps at all. But actually, Knowledges and Divinations have huge implications if players just use them - there's no DM fiat when it comes to identifying monsters or locating something, or indeed, asking divinities. Divination is more of the problem than the victim since it allows you to completely negate the need for many skills (of course, MacGuffin is usually warded against Divination, so that's where skills get to shine).

But I wouldn't say it's a problem for Rogues. As long as they're imaginative, they can make use of practically all their skills constantly (unless the game is pure hack'n'slash, and even then, many of them have combat implications). The fact that they have access to Use Magic Device, Sleight of Hand, Hide/Move Silently, Spot/Listen and the social skills pretty much guarantees that you can make use for them.