View Single Post

Thread: Dread Comando- Making it worth it

1. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Dread Comando- Making it worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Grynning View Post
    Oh, that Expert. I always forget the generic classes, since the alternate rules pretty specifically advocate against letting folk mix them with regular classes. In this case it's not that bad and far from abusive, though, so if the DM allows it, w/e.

As for your build, see my above comments on Imp. Sunder, I still think it's an unnecessary feat. Also, I'm fairly certain there's a spell in the Spell Compendium that eliminates the need for the Razing Strike feat. Gravestrike is the one for undead, and I think the construct one is called Golemstrike. They're first level spells too, IIRC.

P.S. - That kinda sums up what I don't like about 3.5 in one go: "I'm fairly certain there's a spell in [INSERT BOOK HERE] that eliminates the need for [INSERT CLASS FEATURE, FEAT, OR SKILL HERE]."

Good points. I feel like imp. sunder is pretty important though. First, it's another combat option. Second, when disable divice fails, it's good to have a backup option. Third, this class doesn't get much spellpower and needs to apply its limited resources as percision tools. It can't afford to simply spam shatters-this goes to the Golem Strike spell as well. The build just doesn't have many spells built in. It's a spontaneous caster with a gimped spells known progression.

A way around this would be with scrolls and wands, but you can't count on being given access to those, I find. I like my builds to be as self-sufficient as possible.

Although, losing the expert level and level 5 of Commando would give me two extra caster levels and increase my spellpower, which would go a long way. I am leaning more and more toward this option.

Last thought on golem strike/razing strike: Instead of just letting you sneak attack constructs, razing strike adds extra dice to your SA equal to the spell sacrificed, making it stronger, and you don't need to flank it, catch it flat footed etc. It just gives you the bonus damage dice.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-12-19 at 09:11 AM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.