Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
To those saying that a 4e rogue makes a good swashbuckler:

What is it that makes it so? (I'm not being snippy - I'm genuinely curious). As far as I'm aware, the 4e rogue is a striker, which basically means dealer of lots of damage.

And that's about as far from my mental image of swashbuckler as it's possible to get without entering spell-slinger territory. If anything, I'd say that a swashbuckler is a defender, pure and simple. I can't for example, imagine a swashbuckler rushing through enemy lines to stab an enemy wizard, but I can totally see him interposing himself between a young lass and a horde of orcs, risking his life to protect her (or her life to protect him, in the case of a female swashbuckler protecting a young lad).

Is it entirely because the rogue wears little armor and uses a rapier?
You don't always have to take just plain "deal Xd6 damage and thats it" powers. The rogue actually has quite a few powers which focus on moving about quickly and such.

In fact, I don't really know what you are looking for in a swashbuckler. When I think of one, I think of a fighter who uses finesse and charisma to trick and defeat his foes. Much like Elan likes to think he does in the comics.

The rogue in 4e has a whole array of abilities which complement this.