Quote Originally Posted by Norr View Post
Hi, I read through your soulknife and I think it generally looks good. There are a few things I would like clarified though, and maybe a few suggestions for changes.
Thanks! After getting more experience homebrewing though, I can see a lot of it needs rewriting. I'll properly update it when I get some time.

First off, I assume taking Improved Critical applies to specific forms of the mind blade rather than the mind blade itself (like Improved Critical (short sword) rather than Improved Critical (mind blade)). It might be a good idea to mention this.
No, it means that you can pick feats requiring specific weapons and choose "mind blade" in general rather than a specific type. So Improved Critical (mind blade) would apply to any form of the mind blade. That was basically the same as was on the original version. Should I clarify it more?

Secondly, I think you should link weapon special abilities and materials to their entries in the D20 SRD so that the short version presented here is not the only source of info for the special ability / material. Those special abilities / materials not found in the SRD should be expanded on in your post. I say this because some of the explanations are a bit foggy.
Linking is a good idea. Actually, looking at it now, I think it may be a good idea just to say you get +X weapon enhancement to be used for special abilities, without limiting it to a list. That way, you'd be able to use juicy weapon abilities from supplements like Magic Item Compendium.

But for materials, yeah, I'll expand/link those.

Speaking of special abilities, I'm wondering about Forceful vs Ghost Touch. Is it that a weapon with the Forceful ability only deals the force damage (1d4/application) to incorporeal targets or does the base weapon damage also get applied? Abilities?
I just meant it deals extra force damage, and the parenthesis was reminder that force hurts incorporeal targets. But yeah, that's not very clear. It won't matter once I remove the limited list though.

The Bane ability is not stackable (understandably), for the same monster type, but could you give the weapon, say, Bane (Monstrous humanoids) and Bane (Apperations)?
Good point, that seems like a reasonable thing to do. But I think normally you can't stack weapon abilities at all, so unfortunately that won't be possible if I move to just +X special ability bonus for whatever.

When stacking the Damp ability, how much extra spell resistance is added?
It would double it, but that's probably not balanced at all. A more reasonable thing would be to add +10 each extra time you add it.

I think Mind finesse is an excellent ability since I usually play low-strength-hih-dex characters, but why does it get a penalty from having a shield? Normal weapon finesse doesn't get that and it has less restrictions that Mind finesse.
Actually, that part was copied directly from Weapon Finesse on the SRD, which does have that restriction.

Something I thought the original soulknife (and all its fixes) lacked is an ability for multihanded characters splitting blades, like thri-kreen which can wield four light or one-handed weapons (or two two-handed ones). Maybe perfect blade shaping could allow for 4x light weapons. Though maybe a thri-kreen could easily make such an allowance game-breaking.
That's a good point. I can add that.

A simple way of handling such an issue could be to simply not allow the 3rd and 4th blade to have special abilities, but be identical to the primary pair in all other respects.
That's a good idea.

Lastly, Greater and Perfect blade essence needs to be updated to match the table under 'Blade essence'.
Thanks for catching that, I'll change it when I update.