1. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Harvest Moon-like RPG/Village Sim for PbP

Interesting idea you're working on here. Sounds kinda amusing, I might give it a try when you get it up and running.

As it seems pretty basic, perhasp this isn't needed, but if you're interested, I could probably code some online tools (charcter bookeeping thingy, automated skill roll table lookups) to ease with adjudication.

Not that I think anything of the sort should be a requirement or anything, but it could be handy and sounds like an amusing programming project. Of course, you'll probably be handling dice rolls using the forum's dice roller for fairness, so it couldn't be entirely automated.

What I was thinking of was a javascript web app that entirely optional and doesn't provide any unfair game advatage of any sort. Basically, it would store each user's character as a cookie on thier computer (no database or login required).

They'd take actions here like normal, using whatever format you decide on for that. Then, if they wanted to use my app, they could enter the actions they took and the die results (if any) and the bookeeping (skills and gold mostly) would updated automatically and exported as BBCode they could cut and paste into the post where they keep thier character sheet.

Anyway, it looks like this game will be a nice little diversion that doesn't have a large time commitment required. I'll probably play some, but I might be abscent at times. From the looks of things, that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Edit: Well, I decided to post a character, just so I'll have one when this gets started and to call dibs on the concept.

Name: Ol' Pete
    Region: Mountains
    Possesions: Plot of Land, Cabin, Chicken Coop, 5 Chickens, 5 Bags of Chicken Feed
    Money: 0g
    Skills
    Riding: 10
    Huntining: 10
    Foraging: 40
    Fishing: 10
    Duelling: 10
    Brawling: 20
    Mining: 10
    Cooking: 40
    Brewing: 40
    Medicine: 10

Background: Ol' Pete (nobody knows his last name) is belived by most to be a crazy old coot. He lives high up in the mountains and doesn't get into town very often. He's the oldest person anyone around knows, but few know exactly how old that is. Most think he's silly for trying to ranch up in the mountains, but the chickens he keeps are not his primary line of work. In reality, he spends most of his days brewing his famous "mushroom moonshine" and hiding from the prohibition era liquor agents he's convinced are still after him.

Edit 2: So I decided to play around with the game mechanics a little bit and here's my results.

Ol' Pete spent all day (3 job and 2 special actions) foraging in the mountains for mushrooms to make moonshine out of. Of his five skill checks, 3 where successfull, and he managed to find some good stuff:

{table]Herbs | 3 x 20g
    Berries | 1 x 30g
    Mushroom | 3 x 35g
    Poison Mushroom | 2 x 40g
    [/table]

Unfortunatly, he didn't get enough for a full batch of 'shine today. Pete will sell the herbs, but he's saving the berries to make some jam and the mushrooms for 'shine.

Seems pretty fun, even with the incomplete rules posted so far. Of course, without the farming rules, maybe Ol' Pete's chicken's starved while he was monkeying about. It'll be nice to see how this all plays out.
    Last edited by levi; 2009-08-04 at 05:18 AM.