View Single Post

Thread: OdB - OOTS French translation

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default OdB - OOTS French translation

Here is the new thread for the French transcripts.
    Since patches haven't been officially allowed, I have decided to go back to transcripts. I'll still first work with each image to find the translation that is not only accurate, but fit best in the balloons.

For now I have decided to go with transcripts without any page or panel numbers. If it turns out unpractical I'll change that.

I'm going to pace myself, and start from the beginning again.

So here you go with the first strip :

0001 - Nouvelle édition

Gobelin : Grrr !
    Son : boing !
    Haley : Qu'est-ce que... ?! Il allait te casser la gueule, ce gobelin.
    Durkon : Je såis pås, je me suis juste senti très... ståble.
    Son : POUF !
    Roy : Euh... C'est une chemise de maille, je crois.
    Elan : Cool !
    Vaarsuvius : Je comprends. Je pense que nous sommes en cours de conversion vers l'édition 3.5.
    Roy : Hé bien, c'est vrai que je me sens plus intimidant...
    Belkar : YES !
    > Ça fait 3 ans que je suis rôdeur, il se faisait vraiment attendre, cet avancement.
    > Allez, venez voir Papa, mes petits points de comp' !
    Son : pshh !
    > pshh !
    > pshhhhhhh !
    Roy : Ouuh... Ton arme a rétréci
    Haley : Hihi, elle est toute petite.
    Belkar : MERDE !
    Son : ding !
    Elan : Ooh ! Des points de compétence !
    Belkar : FAIT CHIER !

Starting on the second strip, I'll use initials for reccuring characters.
    I have also decided not to keep all transcripts in the first post unless asked to, since I believe it probably won't be necessary.

A few comments on the translation in general, for people who weren't around for the last thread :
    - I have decided to translate names, since they have a meaning.
    - For Durkon, I'm transcribing his accent using special characters. Dwarves don't typically have an accent in French, so I gave him a "norse" accent. I believe it doesn't make it too hard to read (like the dwarven accent sometimes does) yet it's obvious that he has an accent.
    - For Vaarsuvius, I am going to try and keep the ambiguity and I believe I can do it even if it's harder in French than English.
    - Puns will be translated with other puns/jokes if they don't translate well. When it happens, I'll explain my reasoning in the comments.
    - Cultural jokes that wouldn't be easily understood will also be adapted into something most speaker of French would get. I'll give preference to French cultural jokes if I can't find a more universal one, because I'm French (and this translation should be seen as a Parisian French translation, even though I'm trying not too use too much slang so it's easy to understand in other French-speaking countries)

In other words, this translation is to be viewed as a translation of the spirit more than the text. I won't translate a pun literally and lose the pun, I'll find another pun even if it changes what was said slightly. Similarly, a joke about something obscure to French-speaking readers will become a joke about something less obscure.

My priority in translating will be plot>spirit>letter.

Comments are absolutely welcome but that doesn't mean I'll change anything at all if I strongly disagree with your interpretation.
    Last edited by Lissou; 2009-09-06 at 12:39 PM.