Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
Ah, I see...
Well, many would object that UMD means that if you need a broken skill to mimic a spellcaster, to compensate the lack in your class and to have a chance, you're proving the Wizard's point.
UMD to me is fine, but is hardly definitive. The wizard can escape, find a secure shelter (rope trick, etc.) and prepare an invisible counterstrike.
A scroll of forcage is fine, and with a dimensional lock (to be sure), screws the fighter.
Well, this thread is really derailing.
That said, I'm not arguing the utility of the fighter in a group, Imo is fundamental, but one Vs one, the casters have too many superior options.
I don't think UMD is a broken skill... the DCs are high enough that it's pretty hard to muster a +20 check at low levels to guarantee success.

Also, UMD doesn't only allow you access to Wizard spells, it also allows you access to Cleric, Druid, and Sorceror spells (I'm particularly fond of the ones in Races of the Dragon... Wings of Flurry for Nd6 force damage with no cap, plus a stun effect!). My point is that with a sufficient wealth edge, any class advantage can be overcome via UMD, which I would argue is good design.

The Wizard can't escape, because Moment of Prescience (wiz 8) gives the Fighter a +20 to his Initiative bonus. Plus, the Fighter, with his orgy of feats, easily has Improved Initiative and whatever other initiative booster feats from splatbooks. That, and, let's say, Destruction (cleric 7) means game over for the Wizard.