Quote Originally Posted by Crel View Post
Wow, thanks for the responses.

I think I'll definitely create some major plots that may or may not tie into the multi-plane battles. I can definitely tell from what you've said that a plot of that size can have some comments (beginning mysterious signs, etc) but not be the total plot until the last couple of levels.

I know the screwyness of d20 modern, and was planning on homebrewing a system so that technology will be the equivalent of high-end magic. I don't really have an entire plot set out, just how I want it to end.

Thanks for the reminding tips to focus most on the PCs. I think it will be easier to do that once I know what the PCs want to play as (we haven't started yet).

I planned to wait until roughly level 6 because from my experience, it takes longer for players to catch on. Perhaps thats just my newer friends, perhaps you have stellar players. I'll just wait and see.

My plan is that the plane the players start on is one of the outer planes or far outer planes. I'll prolly have the characters explore a huge amount of it beyond what I'll have initially set out to add to the effect as a plane, not just a material world.

Thanks again for the advice, and feel free to add more! This is really helpful.
Then I would recommend sticking to the Prime Material until about sixth-to-eighth level. Starting with the Outer Planes provides a very different campaign and feel than starting with the Prime Material.