View Single Post

Thread: Take down that sentry! (4E)

1. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Take down that sentry! (4E)

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor Miriel View Post
    I proposed in the future we use the coup de grace rules for striking from the darkness against an unprepared foe, but I wondered what the playgrounders thought. Does anyone have a good easily workable 4E mechanic for taking that dang sentry out?
    Well, if your characters are OK at getting one-shotted when they fail a Perception check, then sure

Seriously though, minions for sentries. Or use a Knockout power (like Knockout) to disable the sentry. There's more than one way to skin a cat

EDIT: Note that I'm talking about using minions for sentries. Now why would someone do that, in game?

(1) Minions are, usually, pretty low on the totem pole of any organization. Sentry is not a fun job to do and crap tends to flow downhill.

(2) Sentries aren't expected to drive off intruders - they're supposed to alert the watch. So you don't need a particularly tough guy for the job - better to have the tough guys well-rested for all the pillaging in the morning.

Personally, I fill my villainous organizations with minions and usually set them out on sentry duty. Aside from making it reasonable to do the "sneaking-by-killing" entry, this "feels" more realistic for me; what kind of organization can afford to use its elite troops in such a fashion?

Besides, there's an easy way for the baddie to make this a secure system.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1) Don't have lone sentries - either put a squad to watch a particular point, or position them at intervals so that if one drops, the others can raise the alarm.

(2) Have a Captain of the Watch (non-minion) to make sure the sentries are alert and to help organize the defense if needed.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2010-01-05 at 02:26 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad