View Single Post

Thread: Disciple of Bel (DnD 3.5, PEACH)

1. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Disciple of Bel (DnD 3.5, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    That's, uh, not quite correct, although I'm only familiar with American copyright law. Fair Use, where it applies, allows as much material from the source as you want, although using a smaller amount can help your Fair Use claim if it goes to court. At any rate Wizards can only copyright the text in their books, not the ideas, which is why they can't stop us from creating derivative works such as the OPs proposed Redux. As for using names like Asmodeus, that's trademark, not copyright. I have no idea whether Wizards has trademarks on those names but it seems to me they should not. They do have trademarks on thing's like Bigsby and Mordenkainen which is why those aren't in the SRD.
    To be fair, you can't trademark things you didn't invent (well you can, but for this argument let's keep it simple without the loopholes.) Asmodeus, Dispater, Mammon, Belial, Levistus, Baalzebul, Mephistopholes, Bel, all of those are older than dirt.

Edit: Thanks Mulletman
    Last edited by Sir_Chivalry; 2010-02-26 at 08:33 AM.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.