View Single Post

Thread: Iron Heart Surge (Rewrite)

1. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Heart Surge (Rewrite)

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Not bad. I'm not sure about keeping the ability to remove stuff like antimagic field and acid arrow, though - it just doesn't make much sense to me. As I see it the idea of IHS is to remove debilitating conditions, not keep your equipment functioning or remove HP damage (Warblades have another maneuver for that).
    While I like the much shorter rewrite, I always saw the ability to remove AMF's as a feature of IHS, rather than a problem. The fact that the entire AMF would collapse I found odd, but kind of awesome in a peculiar way. Ultimately, I feel immunity to the effect makes more sense than removing it entirely, but you're the first person I've seen who's disliked the AMF immunity IHS provides.

Still, I like your rewrite better - it's more concise and offers even less room for... interesting interpretations.

Balance wise, what if IHS was to systematically remove all listed conditions when used? It doesn't remove the source of the problem, in most cases (stinking cloud), but it does help fight stacked debilitating effects.

Personally, I'd really like IHS to offer a method of removing or ignoring things like Solid Fog and Forcecage.

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    I'd just like it if IHS made the thing not effect you for a short duration instead of dispelling it. So it still stops AMFs, but it doesn't dispel them.
    That's the essential change I made when I rewrote it. Check the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Longcat View Post
    Personally, I'd choose a mixture of both, namely Saph's list of conditions and Sophismata's spell removal. IMO, IHS removing AMF (at least for you) is a feature, not a bug. IHS, for me, is about crushing debiliating effects, or at least strive in such an environment where others are still affected it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetRein View Post
    There's a point where you should cross the "Trying to specify it in the current rules." versus "Let it exceed the current rules and just get to the point." for the sake of simplicity in playability.
    I believe this is one of those points.

Hmmmm. Changes in bold:

Spoiler
    Show
    IRON HEART SURGE
    Iron Heart (Counter)
    Level: Warblade 3
    Prerequisite: One Iron Heart maneuver
    Initiation Action: 1 immediate action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: See text

You are an unstoppable force, in a world without immovable objects.

Your spirit, dedication, and willpower allow you to overcome almost anything in pursuit of your enemies. This maneuver is used in reaction to a successful spell, spell-like effect or other ability that is about to impose one of the following, listed conditions on you. When your next turn begins, that condition is removed immediately, and you surge with vengeance against your foes, gaining a +2 morale bonus to attacks until the end of that turn.

Iron Heart Surge can remove the following conditions: Blinded, Charmed, Confused, Cowering, Cursed, Dazed, Dazzled, Deafened, Diseased, Dominated, Energy Drained, Entangled, Exhausted, Fascinated, Fatigued, Frightened, Nauseated, Panicked, Paralysed, Petrified, Poisoned, Shaken, Sickened, Stunned. It can also remove any effect that gives a penalty to your ability scores or saving throws (such as ray of enfeeblement), reduces your speed or actions per round (such as slow) or imposes mental control (such as suggestion).

At the DM's option, Iron Heart Surge can also remove any unusual condition in line with those listed above.

Balance wise, you can recover it every other turn. Although avoiding the use of a standard action is more powerful, you will always be vulnerable in the round following the IHS.

Edit: This even applies to non-Warblade acquisitions. A Swordsage can use this every round, but must spend his turn doing nothing in order to refresh it. Adaptive Style is the same. A Crusader could get this refreshed the turn after using it, but it would be drawn randomly, and they would not get it back until the redraw.

A non-adept with Martial Study can only use it once per encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    So, take a Warblade and put him in a box. There is no light, so he cannot see, so he is blinded. Iron Heart Surge. What happens?
    The blinded condition is different from the inability to see. The cleric spell Remove Blindness/Deafness never really generated that sort of problem.
    Last edited by Sophismata; 2010-03-12 at 09:53 PM.