Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth View Post
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm glad you like the material.
If it wasn't good, I'd have told you so. I do that frequently. Thank yourself, for making quality material.

Hmm. I hadn't noticed that, but you're right. I based it on the Divine Bard variant but left out the Wisdom score requirement for spellcasting. I like your idea of tweaking the class features better. I'll have to give that a think and see what I can come up with.
Eh, if I had ideas, I'd totally help you out. Sadly, this is not my arena of brew. I'm more of a spells/items/casters guy.

Another good point. I agree with you that the dark companion class feature fits better with the tone of the class, but I don't want to jettison the familiar entirely. There are so many cool things a hexblade can do with a familiar that it seems a shame to eliminate the option entirely. Maybe I will make that change to the modified base class and add a familiar alternate class feature...

While I agree that a variant class feature isn't necessarily the strongest basis for a PrC, this is ultimately about giving players options. This was just one of the ideas that came to me. I actually started on a few more PrC's but decided that they worked better as feats.

The dark companion is a great feature and apparently quite popular but, much like everything else hexblade-related, completely unsupported. I just wanted to give it a little love .
Oh, I totally get this. However, keep in mind the Hexblade can always just take Obtain Familiar to get a familiar should he want one. He cannot do that with the Dark Companion. Seems more awesome to give them the great, well-loved Dark Companion as part of their basic chassis and let them take Obtain Familiar like everyone else.

Thanks! I included Craft (sculpting) as a prerequisite for the same reason the War Weaver includes Craft (weaving). It's thematically appropriate and completely irrelevant to the mechanics of the class. It represents an investment on the part of the player (because, let's face it, hexblades are skill-starved already) and some sort of link between the PrC and the character that's not automatic. I wanted an additional skill requirement that would make players have to intentionally head toward the PrC and encourage them to create in-character reasons for taking the PrC rather than just dipping to gain a few powerful abilities. Otherwise, almost every hexblade would take it and wouldn't have to make any choices he otherwise probably wouldn't.
This is true, but I'd rather see a feat requirement that makes sense (but serves the same purpose). Skills are easy to come by (one level of Rogue, which is great with Hexblade ANYWAYS). Feats? Less so, especially if it's not easily acquirable as a bonus feat. Not sure what I'd put there, but I'm sure something exists.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to make that change.
I support this course of action.

Thanks a lot for the vote of confidence and for the great suggestions. The Debaser looks pretty interesting. I like the idea of an aura-based PrC; perhaps one that sacrifices hexblade spellcasting for de-buffing auras and more melee-focused bonus feats with the goal of engaging enemies in melee combat while sapping them with a short-radius aura. We'll see what ideas come...
That's something I'd love to see. Perhaps if you gave this level of detail and attention to the Marshal, you could make a Marshal/Hexblade "Theurge" style PrC? That'd be really interesting.

Thanks again!

Mephibosheth
As I said above, you earned the praise. If it was terribad, I'd have told you so. I do really look forward to seeing more material of this quality from you in the future. Whenever you post brew for 3.5, PM me, and I'll happily come check it out.