1. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Homebrew Invocations Dump P.E.A.C.H.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiun View Post
    Intended to signify numbing the creature without knocking it out. Flavour only really.
    I understand but what does it mean mechanically, you can identify a poison or disease in someone and delay it's affects? if so how long? or does it work on wounds? Nonlethal damage?

Sooo
    Shaded Respite: You receive a +4 on constitution checks made to resist the effects of strenuous activity. You become immune to the effects of fatigue and exhaustion for 24 hours. You still suffer the nonlethal damage of strenuous activity.
    ?
    Yup, Basically it is endurance feat only it suppresses any negative effects for failing a save for 24 hours, letting you take nonlethal damage without actually feeling it until it reaches your totally HP count and you fall unconscious. Not much of a Invocation honestly... maybe if I added immunity to fatigue and exhaustion for outside sources, such as from spells...?

Seems fine.
    If you want to flavour it a little differently though

My Soul for Yours: With a touch, you send your soul to barter the return of another. You raise a fallen creature who has been dead for less than 1 minute. Doing so is taxing on your mind and spirit and you suffer 1d4 Charisma damage and lose 200xp/HD of the creature you are raising.
    I don't know if such a punishment should be leveled against an invocation player. sure it is usable at will, but you still need the 10kgp Material component and all the other restrictions of the spell apply. Making someone loose xp and take cha damage just seems too steep a price for at will, afterall, Clerics can cast it will no ill effects all they like.

Though I suppose for flavor if it must needs balancing out...

Candle in the Void
    Greater; 7th
    You channel raw Eldridge energy as a beacon to lost souls, enabling you to use resurrection as the spell. On top of needing the required material component it also does 1d4 con damage as a result of physically channeling that much raw energy which goes away after you have rested for eight hours.

I don't know how your group would feel about the possibility of every high level opponent they know carrying around a "1up", so I made this more restrictive version. Mind you it is by no means perfect, nor is my opinion.

Cursed Dolls: You create a small, simple doll. You must place an item which harbours a direct link with the creature to be warded by the doll into the doll (hair, nail, blood, skin, etc). You may only have 1 doll/person, attempting to create another sets the other ablaze and negates its effects.
    You may tie an invocation into the doll set to target that creature upon specific conditions set upon its creation (25 words or less). Doing so seals your usage of said invocation as its energies are focused elsewhere. Using the tied invocation destroys the doll.
    You may channel beneficial or baneful invocations within the dolls. Once triggered, the material link is destroyed and allows your power to bypass the need for Spell Resistance or Saves.
    Invocations that would require concentration have a duration of 3 rounds
    Every high level opponent with Invocations anyway,it's No worst then some of the tricks Wizards can pull with it. But I like your fleshing out of it. However Doing so seals your usage of said invocation as its energies are focused elsewhere. seems a bit off, if one can cast invocations at will all day, why would an item which has an invocation in reserve not allow you to cast it? Still again, to balance if it needs a downside...

Cursed Doll
    Dark; 9th
    You create a small, simple doll. You must place an item which harbors a direct link with the creature to be warded by the doll into the doll (hair, nail, blood, skin, etc) out fitted with gems costing at least 1,500gp. You may only have 1 doll/person, attempting to create another sets the other ablaze and negates its effects. You may tie an invocation into the doll set to target that creature upon specific conditions set upon its creation (25 words or less). You may channel beneficial or baneful invocations within the dolls. Once triggered, the material link is destroyed and allows your power to bypass the need for Spell Resistance or Saves. Invocations that would require concentration have a duration of 3 rounds. The target creature of the doll becomes shaken for one round after it's use.

So thus far we have...

Spoiler
    Show

Shaded Respite
    Least; 1st
    You receive a +4 on constitution checks made to resist the effects of strenuous activity. You become immune to the effects of fatigue and exhaustion for 24 hours, even from outside sources such as spells. You still suffer the nonlethal damage of strenuous activity from a failed save and when you reach the limit of your health you immediately fall unconscious until you've had eight hours of rest.

Candle in the Void
    Greater; 7th
    You channel raw Eldridge energy as a beacon to lost souls, enabling you to use resurrection as the spell. On top of needing the required material component it also does 1d4 con damage as a result of physically channeling that much raw energy which goes away after you have rested for eight hours.

Cursed Doll
    Dark; 9th
    You create a small, simple doll. You must place an item which harbors a direct link with the creature to be warded by the doll into the doll (hair, nail, blood, skin, etc) out fitted with gems costing at least 1,500gp. You may only have 1 doll/person, attempting to create another sets the other ablaze and negates its effects. You may tie an invocation into the doll set to target that creature upon specific conditions set upon its creation (25 words or less). You may channel beneficial or baneful invocations within the dolls. Once triggered, the material link is destroyed and allows your power to bypass the need for Spell Resistance or Saves. Invocations that would require concentration have a duration of 3 rounds. The target creature of the doll becomes shaken for one round after it's use.

what do you think?
    Last edited by Paulus; 2010-04-18 at 03:11 PM.
    Think what you want. I can't stop you.