I don't intend to be completely useless in combat; I'm just clear that I don't want a combat-focused character. I remember Nobles had some leadership and inspiration talents that I might be able to incorporate, and of course I intend to excel against enemy technology to the point of unfairness, if possible. I'm not entirely certain what my starting level will be at this point, though, so I'm not sure how much mechanical strength my character will have, being a technical noncombatant.

This is actually the same group I played my other Saga game with (mostly, at least), and I played an infiltrator-type character while the rest of them were mostly combat gods. They loved him, even when that character didn't pull his weight as much in combat, because he opened up many possibilities to them that before weren't even on the table, so I'm confident that as long as I can make my character useful in other ways it'll be fine.

Are there any books I should look into when I get the chance? I know they have pretty much every Saga book out there and are using them all, so pretty much anything published goes. Also, is there a downside to having nonheroic classes to start with? I seem to remember that three levels in nonheroic is roughly equivalent to a single level in a heroic class.