Inheritor of the Ancestors
Every tribe has legends of powerful warriors or great leaders who guided the tribe through difficulties in the distant past. These stories entertain people at festivals and provide comfort and hope in times of stress.
Inheritors of the ancestors, however, know that these stories are more than just legends. They know the power of the ancestors and have discovered ways to tap into that power by preserving relics of powerful ancestors; most often talismans made from the ashes, bones and skin of the ancestors themselves. They seek out the remains of well-known ancestors and (with the ancestorís permission, of course) craft their relics from these remains. Very often, these powers enable inheritors of the ancestors to become the very legends they seek to preserve and utilize.
Inheritors of the ancestors can be found among people who venerate their ancestors and maintain strong oral storytelling traditions. They are often found among the tribeís most powerful warriors; those who fight and kill to protect the tribe.
Skills: Knowledge (history) 8 ranks, Craft (any) 5 ranksClass Skills:
Spellcasting: Ability to retrieve 2nd level divine spells
Special: Follow the Guide class feature
The inheritor of the ancestorsí class skills are Concentration (con), Craft (int), Diplomacy (cha), Handle Animal (cha), Heal (wis), Knowledge (geography)(int), Knowledge (history)(int), Knowledge (local)(int), Knowledge (nature)(int), Listen (wis), Profession (wis), Ride (dex), Spellcraft (int), Spot (wis), Survival (wis) and Swim (str).Skill Points at Each Level:
4 + int modifier
Table 8 - Inheritor of the Spirits
1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Channel Ancestor 1/day, chastise spirits|+1 level of existing class
2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Ancestral Relic|+1 level of existing class
3|+2|+1|+1|+3|Channel Ancestor 2/day|+1 level of existing class
4|+3|+1|+1|+4|Ancestral Relic|+1 level of existing class
5|+3|+1|+1|+4|Channel Ancestor 3/day|+1 level of existing class
6|+4|+2|+2|+5|Ancestral Relic|+1 level of existing class
7|+5|+2|+2|+5|Channel Ancestor 4/day|+1 level of existing class
8|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Ancestral Relic|+1 level of existing class
9|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Channel Ancestor 5/day|+1 level of existing class
10|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Ancestral Relic, Mien of the Ancestors|+1 level of existing class[/table]
Channel Ancestor (Su)
: An inheritor of the ancestors is able, by preserving small relics from prominent and powerful ancestors, to gain some of the ancestorís attributes. At first level, an inheritor of the ancestorsí power is rough and unschooled. She learns to craft a simple relic (usually a small medallion or other piece of jewelry) from some of the ashes of a cremated ancestor or the soil from an ancestorís grave. She can use this token to grant herself a portion of that ancestorís vitality. As a swift action, as long as she is in possession of this token, the inheritor of the ancestors gains temporary hit points equal to twice her hit dice. These hit points are lost before her normal hit points and remain until they are lost as damage in battle or 1 minute elapses, whichever comes first. She must have this token in her possession to use any form of her Channel Ancestor ability, even after she has crafted other, more powerful relics. She can use this ability a number of times per day as shown on Table 8.
As long as she has these temporary hit points, the inheritor of the ancestors seems to take on subtle but significant hints of the physical characteristics of the ancestor from whom she has crafted her token. While she is still obviously herself, her clothes may change color or form to match an ancestorís characteristic style, her hair and facial features may shift slightly or she may show the ghosts of the ancestorís prominent scars. She gains a +2 circumstance bonus to charisma-based skill and ability checks when interacting with members of her tribe or kinship group.
Chastise Spirits (Su)
: Inheritor of the ancestors class levels stack with spirit shaman class levels for the purpose of determining the damage dealt by the nheritor of the ancestorsí Chastise Spirits class ability and the save DC to resist the effects of that ability.
Ancestral Relic (Su)
: At second level, an inheritor of the ancestors begins to craft more powerful relics from the remains of departed ancestors. At every even level (as shown on Table 8) she crafts one of the following relics.
Possession of one or more of these relics enables the inheritor of the ancestors to modify her Channel Ancestor ability. She still gains temporary hit points as normal. However, she may also choose to gain the attributes and abilities granted by one (and only one) of her ancestral relics in addition to the normal affects of Channel Ancestors.
At every even level, the inheritor of the ancestors crafts one of the following relics. She may only craft a given relic once. Ancestral relics do not take up a body slot but must be in the inheritorís possession in order for her to gain the benefits of having crafted them.
- Bone Knife: The inheritor uses a long arm or leg bone from a powerful warrior ancestor to carve a razor-sharp knife. When she is in possession of this knife and activates her Channel Ancestors ability, she gains an insight bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to half her class level (rounded down).
- Hair Necklace: The inheritor weaves a lock of her ancestorís hair into a necklace, wearing it around her neck. Inheritors usually choose a powerful spellcaster as the source of this hair. When she is in possession of this necklace and activates her Channel Ancestors ability, she gains a bonus to caster level equal to half her class level (rounded down). This bonus only applies when she is casting spells that do not deal damage of any type.
- Rib Buckler: The inheritor crafts a small buckler of wood, bone and leather, using one of her ancestorís ribs as the handle. Inheritors usually choose an ancestor renowned for his speed and skill as the source of the rib. When she is in possession of this buckler and activates her Channel Ancestors ability, she gains a deflection bonus to AC equal to half her class level (rounded down).
- Skin Token: The inheritor makes a small token out of a piece of the mummified skin of her ancestor. Inheritors usually choose an ancestor renowned for his toughness and fortitude as the source of the skin. When she is in possession of this token and activates her Channel Ancestors ability, she gains damage reduction x/-- equal to half her class level (rounded down).
- Tooth Amulet: The inheritor crafts an amulet using the teeth and jawbones of her ancestor. Inheritors usually choose an ancestor known as a powerful warrior and spellcaster as the source of the teeth. When she is in possession of this amulet and activates her Channel Ancestors ability, she gains a +1 bonus to her spirit shaman spell DCs. This bonus increases to +2 at 4th level, +3 at 7th level and +4 at 10th level.
Finally, using an ancestral relic causes the inheritor to identify more closely with the chosen ancestor. While she is still obviously herself, her appearance shifts more obviously toward that of her ancestor. She gains a +4 circumstance bonus to charisma-based skill and ability checks when interacting with members of her tribe or kinship group.
Mien of the Ancestors (Su)
: At 10th level, an inheritor of the ancestors becomes almost an extension of her chosen ancestorsí combined personalities. Once per day when using her Channel Ancestors ability she can choose to apply the benefits of up to 3 of her ancestral relics simultaneously. Doing so still only uses one daily Channel Ancestors use. Finally, while she is still obviously herself, her appearance takes on even more overt similarities to her ancestorsí appearances. She gains a +6 circumstance bonus to charisma-based skill and ability checks when interacting with members of her tribe or kinship group.