Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
Spoiler
Show

Thanks. I wasn't certain if it would work or not, or if it would come across as laziness.

The "thought" about the weather having a sense of humor was being presented by the narrator of the nascent story-within-a-story and not a character, so I had thought it was left unitalicized. I could be wrong about the mechanics of that.

I'm surprised that people didn't get the real joke, though. When he finally knew what to write, he'd decided he'd write a story about not knowing what to write--the story he later submitted. That's why I threw in the framework of the actual challenge and mentioned GITP--so that people would see that it wasn't just a story about not knowing what to write, it was the story of itself being written. Apparently I didn't get that point across, since you're not the only one to ask. So now I can't help but wonder where I went wrong there.
Spoiler
Show
I know that the story he wrote was this one. I said that at the end - that it would make a good rigmarole. Remember?
Don't think that you went wrong. For the people who do guess, they get the joke; for the people who don't guess, it's a good line that keeps them guessing.