Quote Originally Posted by Kaishi View Post
Compared to similar +1 LA races, this seems extremely powerful for only a +1.

For example, gnolls get similar stat boosts, but they do not grow or get any natural weapons.

Size is enough to make this thing over the top, not to mention the damage done by that bite attack. 2d8? This would mean that his bite does damage equal to a bastard sword of his size. That's a bit over-the-top for my taste. I don't understand where you're getting this number. Even normal polar bears only have a 2d6 bite as a secondary natural weapon. And even in this case, I don't think any race should have a bite that powerful early in the game.

I understand that it's a bear, but I don't see how this weapon would be a primary natural attack for a creature that is bipedal and uses weapons. Normal bears use it because their heads are in a convenient spot to place an attack after reaching out with their claws. Even then, though, the bear's bite is a secondary attack.

According to most people I talk to (as well as WotC themselves), a size category increase alone is worth adding +1 LA. You get an extra 5' reach and a massive carrying capacity.

Also, you don't specify what type this race is. I'd assume that it's a monstrous humanoid. In that case, it also gets Darkvision 60'.

My other question is this: How do you justify 40' movement speed for a bipedal creature not built for speed at all? His wild cousin, the polar bear, has a 40' speed because it's quadrupedal; thus, it can propel itself more effectively.

Another example of a similar +1 LA race is the goliath. It gets a slightly better net stat gain though less crippling on a single dump stat. Then it gets Powerful Build. That's as far as its usefulness goes. Mountain Movement is vaguely useful. It doesn't even get an actual size increase.

You may also want to check out Feral Gargun, Minotaur, or any other Powerful Build race or large-size race. I don't think there are any large races that are lower than +2 LA simply because of the reasons stated above.

I have to agree with Kaishi on most if not all of his points, and wouldn't a code of conduct that shapes how you act also affect your wisdom, since they only ever look at things based on the code of conduct i believe that they might need a -wis as well