View Single Post

Thread: Dwarf, Badlands

1. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf, Badlands

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Spell resistance that can't be lowered is a drawback. You know that, right?

Honestly, just because of that, I wouldn't want to play one of these guys, though the 1 LA for modifiers that, while decent, aren't nearly as good as you could get even with a decent template is also off-putting.

Anyway, this is just odd. Ability damage and drain at level 1 are nuts and shouldn't exist, so the possibility that the PCs could be hit by such things at level 1 is nutty. The inability to be buffed and damaging allies for trying alone makes this race unplayable, or at least very weak, and the entire concept of "this race absolutely cannot be this class" is also a design I dislike.

EDIT X2: Also, +1d8 against arcane casters at first level is pretty powerful, while it's mostly worthless later on.
    Yes I know SR that can't be lowered is a disadvantaged, SR in general is a double-edged sword at best if the DM isn't removing the time required to lower it. I made it arcane only so that they still have the chance to be buffed while still providing their role as monstrous dwarves that evolved to resist magic.

I changed the ability damage so that it only applies with Fort or Will saves (as Reflex is dodging the magic as opposed to resisting it) and doesn't kick in till 3rd level but also advances with level, and I changed the Magical Anathema ability so that now it is a bonus based on level instead of a random die. Hopefully these changes smooth out their power curve (both are stronger at Lv 20 than before but much weaker at Lv 1).

Really I wouldn't play one of these either, and they aren't designed with players in mind any more than derro, half-dragons, or hobgoblins were. I tacked an LA on because it's 3.X and creatures have LA.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    +4 Con and +2 Str is in noway penalized by -4 Cha and only a -2 in Int
    Which is why there is LA. That and their anti-mage abilities.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2010-08-13 at 11:42 AM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)