Quote Originally Posted by Mangles View Post
I don't see the reason to create a junk pool at all, nor do I see a reason to restrict what item a Junker can pull out of his collection at any time. A spell caster doesn't need to buy specific spell components for the spell component pouch, they just pay the gold when they cast the spell, and this 1st level ability is much less potent than any spell.
Well first off, that's a house option, and second they can only pull otherwise useless objects. Casters are usually restricted by the DM to what exactly they have in their component pouches in weight, volume and price.

On top of that any item worth 200gp or less(which is only at level 20, it is 10gp items only at level 1), could be purchased by a first level character anyway (depending on class of course). By the stage you can get an item worth even 100gp the value of this feature has diminished to be a useful minor boost mainly for use in out of combat situations as most first level abilities should unless they have progress.
Depends if your campaign is more like DBZ than Tomb of Horrors because I know I really cherished having that 10' pole... I strapped ferrets to it and it was EXTREMELY useful.
Well you don't really understand that the junk pool is meant mainly for junk, even if it DOES have a fixed or progressive weight that doesn't mean your normal inventory isn't included within the junk pile. You could have all the special items you want, but until the DM says otherwise what you pull from your junk pile would be junk, same as the DM would insist that if you could find in a dungeon any junk item just laying around randomly that you wanted that it wouldn't have special powers unless he wanted it to, same as he has control over any other item in the dungeon.

As a quick Q. Would anyone really bother to dip into a class just to get double carry capacity, even if it affected light and medium loads. A 1st level barbarian who gained this ability would be able to waste a lot of money running away from monsters and throwing down caltrops behind him instead of getting better combat abilities to beat it down with a sword.
This build has 3,000lbs drag capacity at level 1 18 str, 4,000lbs if a halforc.
A dwarf with 18 str can run 80 squares/round with 600lbs on his back-- in a 4 person group he could carry all his allies and their gear at normal speed.
Ontop of that you can pull anything under 10gp out of thin air? Hell yes I'd dip.