View Single Post

Thread: [3.5/Heroic]Barbarian Revision

1. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: [3.5/Heroic]Barbarian Revision

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    It doesn't need 6 skill points per level. It only has 9 skills on it's list (one of which, Craft, is useless). It also doesn't need a more powerful Rage at-will. All I see here is the ordinary Barbarian but one capable of dealing MOARDAMAGE!! Which improves nothing. The Barbarian in the 3.5 PHB is more than capable of dealing more damage per round than a finely tuned Warblade. Adding Scent and Flawless Stride is cool though.
    All classes in Heroic Edition get two more skill points per level; I'll think about expanding the class skill list.

The barbarian in 3.5 needed Power Attack tricks and charge tricks to do the damage you're referring to. This barbarian does damage that scales (sorta) as she gains levels, without needing to resort to specific build tricks. That's one of the goals of Heroic Edition - try and keep each class good at doing it's job without needing a specific build through all the levels.

Also, this barbarian does more than just Moar Damage. The fast healing and damage reduction are now an integral aspect of Rage, which means that as the character gains levels she can stay alive longer. At higher levels your resistances and defenses become as important as your ability to deal damage.

The improvements on Diehard and the Delay Death ability are an extension of this idea, that when a barbarian rages she doesn't just hit harder, she instead becomes tough and resilient and indomitable and bad ass.

I recommend looking at the other classes I've revised for Heroic Edition and seeing what this revision is intended to be balanced against. It's not intended for balance against regular 3.5 (read: a system with vancian spellcasters).

I'm glad you like the Scent and Flawless Stride. I wanted to work in more nature related abilities, to play on the primal strength flavor of the barbarian. I think adding Balance, Knowledge: Nature and Spot would round out the skill set. More nature flavor and movement skills.

---

Epic Progression
    Spoiler
    Show
    Epic Heroic Barbarin
    Hit Die: d12
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Epic Heroic Barbarian
    {table=head]Barbaian Level|Special Ability
    21st|Will
    22nd|Perfect Power Attack
    23rd|Resilient
    24th|Indomitable
    25th|Rage, Relentless
    26th|Resilient
    27th|Sublime Power Attack
    28th|Will, Indomitable
    29th|Resilient
    30th|Rage, Relentless[/table]

Will
    At 21st level the barbarians bonus to Will saves during her rage increases to +8. At 28th level it increases again to +10.

Perfect Power Attack
    When using the Power Attack feat and wielding a weapon one-handed the barbarian may add five times the number subtracted from her attack rolls to her damage rolls. When wielding a weapon two-handed the barbarian may add six times the number subtracted from her attack rolls to her damage rolls.

Resilient
    At 23rd level the barbarians Fast Healing during her rage increases to Fast Healing 12. At 26th level it increaese to Fast Healing 14 and at 29th level it increases to Fast Healing 16.

Indomitable
    At 24th level the barbarians Damage Reduction during her rage increases to DR 12/--. At 28th level it increases to DR 14/--.

Rage
    At 25th level the barbarians bonuses to Strength and Constituion increases to +14. At 30th level they increase to +16.

Relentless
    At 25th level when the barbarian uses her Diehard feat she does not die at -20 hit points. Instead she now dies when she reaches -25 hit points. At 30th level her damage threshold increases to -30 hit points.

Sublime Power Attack
    When using the Power Attack feat and wielding a weapon one-handed the barbarian may add six times the number subtracted from her attack rolls to her damage rolls. When wielding a weapon two-handed the barbarian may add seven times the number subtracted from her attack rolls to her damage rolls.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2010-12-27 at 09:09 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"