1. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Hell, It's About Time: Let's Play Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty Campaign Mode!

Okay, in order:

@Zarah:
    We came to this thread to see screenshots of a video game. You don't need to hide them. Use one spoiler, put the entire update in it and put the screenshots in between the text where they are now. People are lazy and would much rather click once rather than seven times in a single update. Trust me, it will really improve the flow.
    -If I post the screenshots unspoilered, I'll be breaking the forum rules on image size, and like you said, I'm a moderator, that wouldn't be smart for me to do that. I can try posting the entire update inside one spoiler, though, that might help the flow a bit?

Your screenshots themselves need some work. This is a game that runs at a very high resolution, and simply shrinking full-screen shots makes everything too small. Crop out anything that the reader shouldn't be immediately looking at, like the HUD. The two shots you have from the in-game cutscenes are probably the best, because they are clear and focused. Try to make all your screenshots look like that. If you crop your pictures, then you might not have to resize them at all, so you're not necessarily doing more work all the time. It's more of a trade-off.
    -I'll see how cropping out the HUD looks - the resolution you do see though is pretty close to the best it gets, my computer can't handle the seriously top-end graphics without slowing to a crawl. This is Medium setting. None of them are actually resized though, they're taken and uploaded right off my (laptop) screen, so it will be more work. If it makes the images better, though, it's worth it.

What exactly happened at the end there? Was that the end of the mission? Or did you just end the update there? Assume you are showing this game to people who have never played the game (such as me). I realize you're doing this in-character, but it's kind of hard to tell what's going on. Maybe some OOC comments end of the update would be helpful.
    -The abrupt ending, yeah, was sloppy re-reading it. I'll edit in something there, but that was the end of the mission.

Seven screenshots isn't much for an update. There's no real rule of thumb for it, but if I'm running an LP that isn't directly dependent on the reader's actions, then I try to fit at least 20 screenshots per update.
    -Unfortunately, as RPGz4me did say, the entire mission took me about 10min, maybe less. It's a tiny map, with 4 total fights, I'd have been taking unnecessary pics just for the sake of screenshots. Mission 2 will at least give me a base, so I can have some more freedom with what I look at, though the map is still small.

@Factotum:
    I imagine the POV character's total cluelessness could get grating after a time, but interesting first instalment. (Haven't actually played SC2 myself so I have no idea what's going on--therefore I don't actually know what Raynor said to those civilians to make them attack the Dominion base. Am I going to miss a lot of the jokes if that's the case?).
    Maybe, though I'll try to gradually let her grow some brains as she hangs around the Raiders long enough - the trick will be balancing the personality between funny and irritating. What actually happened here, though, was that the Dominion is rounding up civilians to go be forced labor at a mining site nearby (Mission 2). Raynor freed them, though the Dominion guards executed one man for trying to run away, and they formed an impromptu mob and started firebombing Dominion property.

@gicko:
    i beleive if you use the mouse wheel you can scroll the camera to a veiw that matches that of the units. is it possible to rotate the camera this way? if so it might ba a good way of showing whats happening as if it was on an actual vidio camera.
    That's how I took screenshot #1, I'll take a look at doing all of them that way, it's a good idea.

@StarbuckII:
    Are we going to get to choose your research/spending?
    Most definitely yes. As soon as the Research Bay gets unlocked, I'll start posting what the potential upgrades are to buy, and ditto for whenever the Tech Lab opens. When we have a mission split, I'll let popular vote decide where to go first, though I'm not trying for Hurry Up, It's Raid Night, there's no need to skip anything.

Going to work on the next mission now, and I'll take the advice given into mind.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-10-17 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.