View Single Post

Thread: The Intercepting Blade [3.5 ToB]

1. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Intercepting Blade [3.5 ToB]

First and foremost, thanks for the answers.
    Now on to your points:

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Follow up is far, far too powerful, especially when you consider the fact you could full attack for multiple trips and get multiple strikes off (and, with judicious use of time stands still or other attack boosting options, get more trips off from there). It needs to be toned down or outright removed.
    It is powerful, I agree, but how are you getting multiple trips? You can't trip someone who is already prone, after all.

This probably shouldn't have full BAB, since pretty much no ToB PrCs do, and this is very powerful.
    Well, Bloodstorm Blade, Eternal Blade and Jade Phoenix Mage all get full BAB and are, without Ruby Knight Vindicator, probably the more powerful PrCs in that book.

The counteractions thing is a great way to save up move actions.
    That's the idea.

Step in, especially combined with Follow Up, is very strong, especially considering you could get free trips for, say, using Mind over Body.
    This is why I specified counters against actions requiring attack rolls. Which is mostly attacks/strikes and touch spells. So no Step In in Mind over Body. And there are surprisingly few counters that qualify.

Unbalance is kind of odd, since you making a balance roll has little to do with unbalancing the enemy.
    Well, that's are martial artist thing which has to do with body structure. I guess it's as hard to understand as it would be to explain. I just thought, for someone specializing in tripping there needs to be a way to trip nonhumans.

Riposte is very good, especially so when combined with follow up.
    Well, I wanted the abilities to synergize. Maybe I overdid it a little.

Basically, if you outright removed follow-up, this would still be a very powerful PrC, because it's insane at lockdown; basically anybody attempting to do anything to you is going to be chain tripped and hit with multiple strikes.
    I don't get the chain tripping thing, since you can't trip prone enemies. If it's just about lockdown a fighter with Robilar's Gambit and Hold the Line and maybe Martial Stance for Thicket of Blades can do it better, since for example Riposte is inferior to Robilar's Gambit in generating AoOs.
    I just tried to translate lockdown to a more maneuver-ish way of doing it, and Follow Up is more or less the source of damage in that. I agree that it might be a bit too powerful, but I don't think it's as insane as you make it out to be. I just never got how in whole 3.5 there never was an ability that made attacking prone opponents better.
    By the way, you'd burn your maneuvers like kerosine...

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by kryan View Post
    Your maneuver progression is a lot better than that 5-level PrCs in Tome of Battle (with the obvious exception of the Master of the Nine); they all have maneuvers learned at 1st, 3rd, and 5th, and a maneuver readied at 3rd. Only one, that is, and no stances. Two maneuvers readied and two stances matches most of the 10-level PrCs in the book. I suggest copying the maneuver progression from the Bloodclaw Master or Deepstone Sentinel.

Also, you should just include the maneuvers table in the main table; at first it looks like the class doesn't get maneuvers a la Bloodstorm Blade.
    Well, half of the 10-levls get 2, half get 3.
    True, I kinda used a toned down Mo9 progression instead of the lower ones. I could use the Bloodclaw master progression, but I'd give it at least one stance, since the class kinda needs stances very much.
    I guess I'll reduce the Maneuvers readied and known. Which amounts to taking out one stance and one Maneuver readied.
    Last edited by Partysan; 2010-11-01 at 12:13 PM.
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei