View Single Post

Thread: Improved Monster Classes IV (Closed)

1. - Top - End - #89
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Improved Monster Classes IV

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Um, so what if he's not a great homebrewer? I'm not a great homebrewer. Nobody on this thread is. There are probably 2 or 3 people on this forum who are "great homebrewers".
    The point of that was, if he was really, really good, he could make it just as good without the fluff restrictions. I'm not even sure I could do that, though.
    It doesn´t matter who is what level of homebrewer. That's my point. It doesn't need to be pointed out, because it doesn't matter. The definition of a 'Great Homebrewer is vague' and expressing that you do not believe someone is will most likley read as insulting. If its unnessisary, and insulting, why have it?

On a different note:
    My suggestions and reviews and discussions or whatever appropriate word will be delayed, as that I've come down with a nasty throat cold, and have found myself inable to keep up in my classes.
    Being sick hasn't helped matters much.

Edit: And I found time.

Werebear
    Thanks for your support Crafty Cultist.
    Skills look good.
    For bear alternate form speed, you might list what the Bear's speed is.
    40 feet base land speed, isn't it?
    Thanks for adding the Alternate form spoiler!
    Forager's nose is a fantastic name, and a great ability.
    Bear Hug: Fun! Uhm, but a bit strong. I'd probably bump it down to 2d6 damage + 2d6 per size category above medium. But that's just me. A (And only in Bear Form) caveat for the damage part would be nice. Great example of an ability that has benefits in more than one form, but offers great incentive to be in bear form! Love the suffocation bit, I'd toss in a mention if the creature has the opportunity to take a large breath of air (I assume no) because it changes how fast they suffocate.
    Indominable: Same suggestion of a (And only in Hybrid Form) reminder. Also, fun! Active defense! I like it. The diehard bit is in all forms, yes? May want to specify either way. Also I believe it is spelled “Indomitable.”
    Looks like a very fun class to me, and has a very Bear feel.

Wereraptor
    This guy needs a name.
    Overhaul calls for Medium and Small or Medium and Large Prereqs.
    If he has 3/4 Bab, he needs 4+ Int Mod skills.
    Still needs: Handle Animal (Wis) and Knowledge (Nature) (Int).
    Being able to Jump as part of a charge should be a different ability than Alternate form.
    That bite attack is huge for Medium, but as a shrinker I see no problem with it... ah but he's a grower. I see wereraptors as shrinkers, but if you like them growing, I'm gunna recommend you reduce the bite attack to only 1 step higher than normal for a medium creature.
    Alternate form needs to specify that Unlike normal creatures with Alternate Forms the Wereraptor gains the hit points increase from any change to its Constitution.
    Can the Wereraptor not Speak in Hybrid form? Why?
    Alternate form needs the actions required to assume its form.

I think a Progression more akin to this would be better:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]Wereraptor level +1/2 other levels|Ability Improvements
    1|+1 Dex
    2|+1 Dex +1 Str
    3|+2 Dex, +1 Str
    4|+2 Dex, +2 Str
    5|+3 Dex, +2 Str
    6|+3 Dex, +3 Str
    7|+4 Dex, +3 Str
    8|+4 Dex, +4 Str
    9|+5 Dex, +4 Str
    10|+5 Dex, +5 Str
    11|+6 Dex, +5 Str
    12|+6 Dex, +6 Str[/table]

Raptor Traits should read
    Raptor Traits: A wereraptor in raptor form gains scent and gains a bonus on all hide skill equal to half his HD. This increases to a hide bonus equal to his full HD if the wereraptor makes a full-round action to hide. At second level his Raptor Traits ability works regardless of form.
    Also I'm still not terribly keen on your choice of hide bonus. But it's balanced. That's just a flavor thing for me. If you like it, keep it.

Raptor teamwork Should clearly state that it only functions in Raptor form. Something like "(And only while in Raptor Form)." Further, its language is still messy and unclear.

Swift blows: Same story about clearly functioning only in hybrid form.
    The damage scales a little heavily towards the end, in fact it’s terrifying at the end, more terrifying than it should be, it seems to me.

Don't assume you’re finished yet! With the overhaul there's always more to do.
    Also, you're lacking a L.1 Power, This would be a fine place for the Jump and Charge thing.

Animated Object
    My first thought is: Object Power at Every level and more object powers!
    Speed increases should be an Object Power Methinks.
    I like the openess of being able to be any object within a per HD price range.

As for 'growth' I think it should also be able to grow down.
    What if I want to play an animated Marble?
    Animated Teacup?
    An animated fly-fishhook.
    An animated stuffed Teddy Bear?
    An animated necklace?
    An animated pen-plume?
    Keep in mind that Cats are Tiny Sized, and Halflings are Small.
    Knock over is super fun.
    Hardness, in my mind, should not be fluff based, rather I feel it should follow the DR (Because that's what it basically is) rules. 1/2 HD.
    Hidden Life is fun!
    Like Never Alive. 1/week might be better.
    Distributed Consciousness: How Fun!
    Magic Item: This might be cool to have an alternate ability to allow the 'gold' per HD to be spent on being a magical Item. That way the player could be an animated... Hand of Glory... an easy way to choke that pesky mage.

Object Power Ideas:
    Breath Weapons
    Slam Damages of different types (Slashing, Piercing)
    Appear as magical item, and have specific Aura
    Hey look, that's a Periapt of Wisdom! Ima put it on! Last words of Josef the Doomed to be Strangled.
    Swim Speeds
    Bonuses on skills like Craft.
    Inspiring Flags
    Work as a shield for someone with enhancement bonus.
    Steal like crazy from the Fiend of Possession...
    Bind people on a pin.
    Flying Books?
    Blinding Light.
    Dwarven Made (?)
    Elven Made (?)
    Halfling Made (?)
    Gnomish Made (Overly complicated, of course)
    Orcish Made (?)
    Goblin Made (Underly complicated, of course)
    Kobold Made
    Gravy Kobold Made (More tasty than Kobold Made)
    Produce Food 1/day, scales to Hero's Feast
    Scrying for Pools of water, mirrors, and crystal balls.
    Illusions for Mirrors, Kyladascopes, and other things...
    Animate a Corpse, Be a psudozombie. (A corpse is an object, after all!)
    Religious Artifact (Like Codex but for Divine Spells)
    Crystalline Resonance (Like Codex but for Psionic Powers)
    Warrior Made (Like Codex but for Maneuvers)
    Soul Crafted (Like Codex but for Incarnum)
    Ect w/ all spell casting types.
    Improved Magic Cupboard (up to 100 gp per day all non magical)
    Speech?
    Ability to hold creatures, and offer them X hours of Air. (Good with Burrow or Swim speed abilities!)
    Ability To Wield Weapons
    Ability to Wear hats (Cloths Rack)
    Ability to Manipulate objects. (If it has 'hands')
    Ability to Take control of someone wearing it (Scarf of possession!)
    Bite Attack, because a hungry treasure chest that isn't a mimic would make me run in fear.
    Alternate form for something malleable?
    Swallow Whole for things with large container space.
    Wardrobes or Make up sets that can Alter-Self/Disguise-Self on others.
    Art sets that can use Arcane Mark.
    Objects able to produce poison.
    Stuffed animals that radiate calming auras.
    High pitched deafening whistles.
    Cradle, Mobile, blanky with sleepy aura.
    Shaving kit, other knifes with sneak attack like damage.
    Animated Tools: Can always Take 10
    ~Healing Kit: Cure Wounds Spell 1/day
    ~Thieves Tools Kit: Knock as Spell 1/day

I'm sure I can think of some more if you need it.

I think this is the answer to the Fluff dilemma, with a bazillion options, you could be an optimized object, but you'd need to be something oddball, like a four wheeled cart, with a set of drapes nailed on, and a mirror glued to the front. At this point, if you're DM is allowing you to play this...Drapecartmirror, ask them if you can play a Kobold Divine Minion 1 MMF 3.

Thorn
    Love Weapon of Thorns!
    Might Specifiy how it can be applied to ammunition (5 minutes per individual arrow, 5 minutes for 20, or 5 minutes for 50?)
    Is Slumbering Arrows a poison? It's ex, so its not exactly magical, so I would assume so. The thing is some classes can apply poison quicker than what is normal (A move action I think is normal), is it possible to hasten the Slumbering Shots Application?

I'm not completely happy with Weapon of Barbs ranged feature, but that's what feedback and suggestions are for.
    How about a Dexterity penalty untill removed, and twice base die damage if removed without a heal check? Alternatively a bleeding out danger if removed without a heal check? Heal check DC scales with the Thorn? Thorns grow in the creature continually dealing minimal damage each round, until removed, which still deals damage?

Slumbering Shots (Ex): Taking cues from the pixies, Thorns of at least third [level] learn to make sleeping arrows. Any creature [struck] by one of this arrows must succeed on a Fortitude save with a DC of 10 + 1/2 HD + Wis Mod or be affected as though by a sleep spell, regardless of HD. If the creature has unhealed non-lethal damage or the attack itself deals non-lethal damage it [receives] a -2 penalty to this save.
    Spelling errors, but small ones

Ultroloth
    On my cue of things to do, sorry.
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2010-12-02 at 07:37 AM.
    Come with me, time out of mind...