Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default So. . . Am I Still a Wizard? Or have I lost my 'mojo'

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Well, to give you the story we started off the session like most other sessions
    I told the dm. . . Ok, nevermind. Long story short we fought a large worm like beastie (No idea what it was) it ate my pack horse. . . Guess what was on the persona of said horsie? My spellbook, Gold & Everything that I wasn't wearing on me at the time. The only spells I had memorized where (After the fight) Phantasmal Killer, Bestow Curse & Light. So there are quite a few questions I have for this board.

1) The spells that I have currently memorized, can I write them onto a new spellbook (When I get my new spellbook).

2) What can I do to be not completely useless to my group? By group there is The DM, Me & Another friend (who is the Paladin). It is a reasonably small group, which makes my situation that much more dire.

3) What can I do? Other then just re-rolling (which I feel like is quite a large cop-out).

4) If you guys (and Gals ;) ) could just give me advice as a whole, the plan I currently have is pick up a crossbow of some sort and a couple of tangletoof bags / Thunderstones (mildly low level items but it'll have to do).

Thanks in advance Katfish
    Last edited by KatfishKaos; 2008-12-20 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Had some issues typing with my iPod touch

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: So. . . Am I Still a Wizard? Or have I lost my 'mojo'

3: Your paladin cuts the worm open, and while your wizard digs through its guts for his book you impress upon the DM how utterly and permanently foxtchled you are without it, and how much fun you'll all be having on that eventuality.
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2008-12-20 at 03:47 AM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Get a new spellbook. This is actually a very common (and complicated) thing in a campaign run with any thought, since defeating any wizard in their lair nets you at least one spellbook, and possibly several.

Inyssius Tor's idea is good, too, unless the worm's gullet actually deals measurable acid damage.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

Sorry, I did forget to mention that the worm is a hot worm. . . We are currently in the tundra and as explained by the DM 'Some creatures cope with the temperature by getting cold themselves, this on the other hand is hot . . . Very hot' it deals fire damage so it was kind of assumed that the stuff was destroyed ESPECIALLY after the paladin was put on 18 health from 117 (whilst being in the gullet of the worm thing).

To get my spellbook back would cost roughly 29,450 Gold.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

PHB pg. 179: "Replacing and Copying Spellbooks

A wizard can use the procedure for learning a spell to reconstruct a lost spellbook. If she already has a particular spell prepared, she can write it directly into a new book at a cost of 100 gp per page (as noted in Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook, above). The process wipes the prepared spell from her mind, just as casting it would. If she does not have the spell prepared, she can prepare it from a borrowed spellbook and then write it into a new book.

Duplicating an existing spellbook uses the same procedure as replacing it, but the task is much easier. The time requirement and cost per page are halved.
    "

So yes, once you get a new Spellbook, you can write your memorized spells into it. And of course, getting your hands on someone's spellbook would be an awesome boon. And of course, adding scrolls would be nice. Hunting for some treasure that contains some ancient Wizard's spellbook may also be a prudent measure.

Anyways, what can you do right now? Obviously, some cheap simple weapon, such as a Crossbow is a prudent choice. However, you aren't much of a Wizard for that. The more interesting options: Get Wands. You still have all the spells on your spell list, so you can use Wands of any Wizard-spells. Seeking Ray is a personal favourite, along with Grease. Also, few Scrolls could be very handy, or indeed, getting a new spellbook (borrow money or sell your services; you're a high level Wizard, there should be no shortage of employers) and writing few very generic spells you can use in most scenarios on it. And keep your next spellbook on your person at all times and include precautions for losing it (small thread on protecting your spellbook).

You didn't happen to kill the Wurm, did you? Provided that you were using Boccob's Blessed Book, a long and gruely gutting could get it back to you. If the Wurm escaped, Locate Object (purchase a scroll) could be used to find it, Teleport to get to it and Hold Monster (purchase a scroll) to kill it. Anyways, getting your spellbook back is the best idea. Hunting a new one is the second best. Starting from scratch if you have no other options. You do have ranks in Knowledges though, don't you? You could try to use your Knowledges to know of some place that might house a book that suits your needs.

Good luck. It's gonna be an interesting trip. This is why Heward's Handy Haversack should be every adventurer's first purchase, btw :P Also, Leomund's Secret Chest is a fine spell for housing your spellbook in a pocket plane.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6

Yeah, you should have at least a couple essential spells backed up in a secondary spellbook, if not having an exact duplicate stashed somewhere safe.

As for what to do now... well, I forget if it's possible to do by the RAW and can't look it up because I don't have my books, but you might be able to memorize spells from scrolls.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2008-12-20 at 04:39 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

The creature is infact dead, I luckily had multiple Phantasmal Killers prepared, but it does deal fire damage because it is so hot. Many thanks to the link I will be looking at just after I finish this post.

The stuff is destroyed, but I'm going to take a look at the wand idea.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Buy a Boccod's Blessed Books to replace your spellbook when you have a chance.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Your spellbook is gone. Lost. Destroyed. Zorched.

This ate it.

Your first priority now is to get another spellbook. Wands and scrolls are nice but use up the money that would otherwise go toward replacing you spells. You might try asking the paladin (nicely) if his church has any wizards as members and if they would be willing to let you copy spells.
    Niven's Laws, #5
    If you've nothing to say, say it any way you like. Stylistic innovations, contorted story lines or none, exotic or genderless pronouns, internal inconsistencies, the recipe for preparing your lover as a cannibal banquet: feel free. If what you have to say is important and/or difficult to follow, use the simplest language possible. If the reader doesn't get it then, let it not be your fault.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

-Very carefully roll up your character sheet and swat your DM repeatedly with it.-

As a DM, I'd never do that to a two person party. But yes, advice.

Pick up a few pearls of power if you don't already have them. They're sort of a must for a wizard in any case.

This seemingly normal pearl of average size and luster is a potent aid to all spellcasters who prepare spells (clerics, druids, rangers, paladins, and wizards). Once per day on command, a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it had not been cast. The spell must be of a particular level, depending on the pearl. Different pearls exist for recalling one spell per day of each level from 1st through 9th and for the recall of two spells per day (each of a different level, 6th or lower).
    Note that in the description IT GIVES NO EXPIRATION DATE for the spell you're recalling. It could be a spell you just cast a few minutes ago, it could be a spell you cast a year and a half ago during a drunken brawl.

Better yet, see if you can rent/borrow a handfull of them of various levels for a few days, recalling every spell you've ever cast during your adventuring career and put them into a new spellbook.

After that. make a duplicate of your spellbook asap

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

And just for the record: You don't need to make skill checks to add a spell you already learned to a new spellbook, so it's one less thing to worry about.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Find a way to have wards cast on your future spellbook to prevent the inevitable "Your spellbook got wet. Your spells are gone." "Your spellbook got torched. Your spells are gone." problems.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

huh, you just gave me a good reason to play sorcerers.

14. - Top - End - #14

I seem to remember there being a feat somewhere that let a Wizard permanently commit to memory a certain amount of spells that they could then memorize for the day without a spellbook. But I'm not sure where it is or if it in fact exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

First: Get a spellbook. Second: Get a scroll or other copy of Secret Page. Get a scroll/copy of that spell that lets you read a book instantly. Just because.

Third: Begin copying spells from people, for however much it costs. Use Secret page to remove all scribing costs but those for access.

Pick up a few pearls of power, as above.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I seem to remember there being a feat somewhere that let a Wizard permanently commit to memory a certain amount of spells that they could then memorize for the day without a spellbook. But I'm not sure where it is or if it in fact exists.
    It's in that obscure book that very few people know, I think it's called....

The player's handbook.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Spell Mastery. Generally considered useless to players whose DMs aren't under the delusion that losing your ability to do anything is fun, which is why you hardly ever see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, see, this is why I play sorcerors.

Really though, once you somehow regenerate your spellbook, make another one, and then follow roughly the same rules as to be done with a Lich's Phylactery: hide it somewhere nigh-on inaccessable, with a contingent spell on you or it to teleport you to it should your non-hidden spellbook be destroyed.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!
    QUOTEBAWKS

Homebrew! I also take requests!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

OR could just ya know. Sotre it in a rope trick thing. Presist+rod of lesser extend means you only have to sacrfice a 5th level spell to have a quasi permanent safe place for your spell book, and if you argue to your DM somehow that all rope tricks that the same caster casts go to the same part of that sub dimension then you should be able to leaqve it there without fear.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

The replies are great and. . . Thanks. =)

So far I've gotten from all this that taking away the spellbook is quite rare, I did look at the wand / scroll idea, I can easilly pick up a few low level 'useful' spells to bring something to the group, but as stated before my first priority should be replacing my spellbook.

Just some quick numbers so you can see where I'm coming from.

18,000gp
    9,000gp worth of items (I wasn't using them)
    30,000gp Spellbook (using the amount needed to completely replace the book).

That is give or take 57,000gp worth of items lost, which means to then get onto equal footing I need to replace that with 57,000gp worth of stuff.

To protect my spellbook (assuming that I'm not adding any new spells) it will
    Cost 40,000gp. To then make a duplicate of my 'imaginary' spellbook 100gp a page? Well. . . That would be 4,300gp Your getting the idea. The numbers are quickly stacking up.

The pearl of powers are a great idea, but the numbers went quite high even if I purchased 1 Pearl Of Power levels 1 through 5 (Once I'm back on my feet I'll be re-looking at that entry for sure).

The knowledge check idea is the most likely to work yet (go figure) it's cheap it's full of roleplaying AND I'm sure to roll a 1 when I actually do it. Seriously though the wealth accumulated was over 9 levels. I'm not sure if we are just not being given enough items for our level but I don't see any probable way of actually getting the stuff that has been mentioned.

First thing first my cohort is now a tatoo'ed spellbook, I was reading some rules on protecting your spellbook and another option open is engraving some spells into my staff / stuff. It'll have to do for now.

The rope trick . . . Can I just say brilliant, I smirked a bit when I read that. But if I did argue the point then is it not possible to fit an almost infinite amount of stuff in there? The spell states 8 creatures of 'any size' which if you can then have it all on the same plane, just build a mansion in there and you just replicated a level 5 spell, I want my spellbook back not to create my own plane of existence. If I missed something tell me, probably my delusions of grandeure fuddled my brain a bit.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Force Chest. Spell Compendium.

Carry your book chained to your waist and protected by this spell. It can't be damaged(nothing gets through a Wall of Force effect), can't be stolen, and you never let it away from you. Then cast a Contingent Greater Teleport that teleports it to a pre-determined location with the Contingency: "When I say Heffalump". Then always prepare Greater Teleport. Heffalump your book away if someone steals it/tries to attack it/whatever because Talking Is A Free Action.

22. - Top - End - #22

Hire a rouge for 10k to steal a spellbook from a mid-level wizard (~lvl 8), if possible an evil spellcaster with usefull spells you can and want to use. Work your way up from there.
    Last edited by Mystral; 2008-12-20 at 07:40 PM.
    Thanks for Zefir for the custom avatar.

23. - Top - End - #23

^What he said. Instead of buying all sorts of magic items just for rewriting your old book, just nab someone else's. Then kill them and take their magic items. You're now well on your way to recover your abilities, and scrolls can fix everything up for you from then on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

^What he said. Instead of buying all sorts of magic items just for rewriting your old book, just nab someone else's. Then kill them and take their magic items. You're now well on your way to recover your abilities, and scrolls can fix everything up for you from then on.
    Except that his buddy the Paladin may not be pleased with this.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!
    QUOTEBAWKS

Homebrew! I also take requests!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Except that his buddy the Paladin may not be pleased with this.
    That's why he can:
    *Not tell the Paladin
    or
    *Make sure it's an Evil Wizard, or at least tell the Paladin that it is
    People pay thousands of dollars for diamonds, even though diamonds do nothing but look pretty.
    A video game suit of armor looks pretty and protects you from video game orcs.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Yeah, see, this is why I play sorcerors.

Really though, once you somehow regenerate your spellbook, make another one, and then follow roughly the same rules as to be done with a Lich's Phylactery: hide it somewhere nigh-on inaccessable, with a contingent spell on you or it to teleport you to it should your non-hidden spellbook be destroyed.
    This doesn't work, not with a DM worth his salt. Contingencies go bad, it's one of the Small Things DM's Can Do To Balance Games TM.
    Last edited by TempusCCK; 2008-12-21 at 03:18 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TempusCCK View Post
    This doesn't work, not with a DM worth his salt. Contingencies go bad, it's one of the Small Things DM's Can Do To Balance Games TM.
    The problem is, this DM sounds like he's deliberately attacking the wizard anyway. "Most of them are cold inside, but this one is hot so it can fry your spellbook" being a key example.

I quote
    "Sorry, I did forget to mention that the worm is a hot worm. . . We are currently in the tundra and as explained by the DM 'Some creatures cope with the temperature by getting cold themselves, this on the other hand is hot . . . Very hot' it deals fire damage so it was kind of assumed that the stuff was destroyed ESPECIALLY after the paladin was put on 18 health from 117 (whilst being in the gullet of the worm thing)."
    Therefore, It seems to be a little deliberate attept given his starting with "some creatures cope by getting cold themselves."

I could be overreacting though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    The problem is, this DM sounds like he's deliberately attacking the wizard anyway. "Most of them are cold inside, but this one is hot so it can fry your spellbook" being a key example.

I quote

Therefore, It seems to be a little deliberate attept given his starting with "some creatures cope by getting cold themselves."

I could be overreacting though.
    However, the creature they were up against is actually a real creature, and someone has provided a link to it on the SRD.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

29. - Top - End - #29

BlackDragon

I'm going to have to agree with SoD, I don't believe that the DM has picked me out.

A) We are friends, and haven't fought over anything.
    B) If there was a balance issue, I have told him
    to come to me and tell me what is wrong and we'll fix it.

It seems like some of you guys have got the wrong idea, we had been sleeping and woke up to a low rumbling, the worm wanted some food. None of us even realized that the spellbook was in the things stomach until I told the dm 'I'm going to my horse to collect my spellbook'. I wouldn't say he pailed but he knew he had crippled me, I'm not looking for blame infact I relish the challenge. I just wanted to get as many ideas as possible to actually get back on track, especially seeming a vampire stated to the world it wants my head on a platter.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Using a spellbook found in the belongings after a fight(could be a target for an small trip too; would not a group of friends actually help out a buddy get back a spellbook? If we assume the characters are friends that is?), mean he'd need to toss a dice everytime he wanted to memorize a spell. In a shorter perspective, its a relatively 'cheap' way to get a big full spellbook of spells, even if its like playing blackjack with your daily spell repertoire.
    1 day he could be lucky and have a good spell selection, next day slightly less lucky.

Well, on longer perspective, i dont got any specific ideas in mind for securing a spellbook against getting eaten in future, any special world you play in, Eberron, Forgotten Realm? Homemade? Eberron got Spellshards, crystals who can be used as spellbooks, 20 pages, 3gp to buy, 100gp to write a page with "arcane mark" into it, etc. Simmiliar items or other good items could perhaps exist in other worlds, if you play in a specific world?